PDA

View Full Version : Bent Strut!! Where to get it serviced?

WakeSurfCanada
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Hey Guys,

So amidst my "final" rundown of the hull before I fully put this boat back together I had a look at my strut/bushing and Sure enough it looks just tweaked and in need of a "straightening" if I want any chance of aligning this drive train.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I could get this thing squared up?

Would a local machine shop be able to do anything for me? Or will I have to goto a marine specific shop?

Or should I undertake this myself? I have access to a press and a few other resources. How tight are the tolerances on this? I would assume that if I can get it relatively close I would just deal with my bushing wearing a little bit quicker than normal? Perhaps something I could deal with this year just so I can get out on the water.

Any input will be greatly apreciated.

WSC

michael hunter
07-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Try your local Prop shop or you can get a new one from Skidim.

WakeSurfCanada
07-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Try your local Prop shop or you can get a new one from Skidim.

thanks michael,

I know I can get a new one from skidim, but I was hoping I could save myself some money if I can get it straightened

Ptownkid
07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Why not just shim it? How far is it out?

WakeSurfCanada
07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Why not just shim it? How far is it out?

hmmmm, not a half bad idea, gonna have to take some measurements see if that's and option and go from there.

Looks like its a little bit tweaked L to R more than actually bent.

Thanks Ptown

rludtke
07-14-2011, 06:37 PM
I remember reading a post in the last week or so, where someone (it might have been Bdmas), had their strut straightend. Whomever it was could provide some help.

mapleleaf
07-14-2011, 08:01 PM
WSC...I went to Kawartha Prop Repair in Buckhorn, On. He fixed all my bent stuff, I belive the strut was 160ish, Their shop is a very pro set up and the work they did for me was amazing( brought a prop back from near death)The drive was a bit long, but he met me for the initial dropoff while he was in Toronto......Call John 705 768-7767

Salty87
07-15-2011, 12:55 PM
any prop shop should be able to do it. i had to get mine straightened before rebuild was done too. nettles prop shop in austin if you want to call them. they're helpful but i have no idea what's involved in straightening one, don't know if they can even help with that over the phone.

WakeSurfCanada
07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Much apreciated.

As I was amidst an order on skidim I just bit the bullet and purchased a new one. The being said I will still look into having this one straightened, never hurts to have some spare parts!

Cheers

WSC