PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Legacy Fuel Vent

hanski
04-30-2005, 03:17 PM
My first Boat alot of questions

I just fueled my 1998 legacy for the first time. After returning home I notice some gas had came out of the fuel vent, Enough to soak my tiedown. Took the boat out for about a half an hour and looked a few times and didn't notice any gas. However, after returning home 20 min it seamed as though some gas had leaked out again.

Any advice on how to tell when to stop pumping gas to avoid an overfill?

Is this normal? There is a pretty good chance that I overfilled the tank.

DKJBama92Mariah
04-30-2005, 06:09 PM
If your boat is anything like mine, the fuel vent is (which is obviously above the top of the tank) is below the level of the top of the fuel filler neck. Therefore, when fillining the tank, if the tank is filled beyond full up into the fuel filler hose, gravity will push the fuel out of the vent. Its kind of an abstract concept, but just think ok it as a siphon. Also, when you tow with a full or close to full tank, the fuel sloshing in the tank will push its way out of the vent. My vent squirts a little fuel out every time i fill up even if i stop fueling when the auto-pump-cutoff thingy stops the pump. Hmmm, note to self, dont smoke while towing with a full tank of fuel... can you say KABOOM!!!.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
05-08-2005, 04:31 AM
I was just looking around on the DIM site and saw this... It directly addresses your problem. Now you just have to ask if its worth 50 bucks to fix it.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LG-50

Cheers,
DKJ

Ed G
05-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Exact same thing happened with my Moomba. It was from me overfilling the tank.
I ended up siphoning fuel out to keep the cover from getting soaked.

I re-routed (making smooth curves) the fuel filler hose on my boat and now rarely get a fuel splash back.

I can now see when the fuel is up to the neck and can stop the pump before my shoes gets soaked.

cc-rider
05-20-2005, 06:00 PM
I also have a 98 Legacy and this happens to me when I fill it up also. I wouldn't worry about it......