PDA

View Full Version : New prop repair

csuggs
07-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Finally got my boat running real good last weekend when I changed the coil. But my day was cut short yesterday when I "forgot" about my tow rope when maneuvering around a rider in the water.

So here's what happens when you run over your tow rope and get the handle caught in the prop. Luckily all I did was damage the prop - I checked the shaft at the prop-end with a dial indicator and it appears to be ok.

This Acme #543 was new this season . . .

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03582.jpg

wotan2525
07-18-2011, 10:25 AM
It's just one of those things that will happen. Were you able to save the rope or did you wreck it?

For a fix that small I'd see if the prop shop can offer you a discount. I've taken the edges of props that have had that happen to them and just hammered them back flat (this is basically the same thing a prop shop does, anyway.) I'm not sure if you're comfortable running it, but if it were me... I'd hammer it back to flat and then run it until I damaged it further, then take it in for a rehab.

rludtke
07-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I had a little run in with a conrete boat ramp with my prop once, that cost me quite a bit of diameter. The prop shop restored the diameter, and re-cupped and re-set the pitch. The prop looked like new for $75. Needless to say that was the easiest $75 bucks I have ever spent. The prop shop can do amazing things to these props.

csuggs
07-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Already mailed it out this morning to the prop shop I have used in the past in Delaware called Proper Pitch. They have always done a very good job for me, just bumbed and somewhat embarassed by the whole incident. . .

wotan2525
07-18-2011, 04:18 PM
My local shop is $80 but they'll repitch and weld for that, too. I usually have an "oops" at least once a year and drop it off. Good reason to have a spare. ;)

csuggs
07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
yeah - I actually have 3 spares. I think only one is good and I put that one back on the boat last night but I was unable to test it last night. If I would have had the spare in the truck with me I could have changed it at the ramp and then put the boat back in - maybe salvaged what was left of the day. From now on, spare stays in the truck box!

rludtke
07-18-2011, 04:27 PM
yeah - I actually have 3 spares. I think only one is good and I put that one back on the boat last night but I was unable to test it last night. If I would have had the spare in the truck with me I could have changed it at the ramp and then put the boat back in - maybe salvaged what was left of the day. From now on, spare stays in the truck box!

Don't forget your puller!

csuggs
07-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Don't forget your puller!

Good point!!!

jet
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Its a very common re-shaping charge $70-$80 bucks and they will make it new again. But your 1st ding always puts a lil tear in your eye. lol

rludtke
07-19-2011, 11:54 PM
I had two instances (and two repairs) in my first year of inbd boat ownership (newbie mistakes). I haven't had an incident since (knock on wood).

DGREEN
07-20-2011, 12:21 AM
I've only done it once.......but it was a doosie!!! Crescent Bar is a producer of prop carnage!

rludtke
07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I've only done it once.......but it was a doosie!!! Crescent Bar is a producer of prop carnage!

OUCH! Damn...

wotan2525
07-20-2011, 10:06 AM
What am I doing wrong? I've had the same prop for 20+ years on the boat and it only has on tiny nick on one blade. You guys have spares? And prop pullers?

You probably ride on a lake that is the same every year?

I ride on a river that changes every year. Spend too much time pulling into unknown beaches with unknown depths. Don't have a functional depth finder. Have to deal with water levels that can vary as much as 8-feet during a season. (And those are the things I have some control of..... let alone letting my idiot friends drive my boat!)

riveredge
07-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Similar to wotan, I live on a lake with countless unmarked shallows, and even people who know the lake well still hit stuff when they get a little careless. I've never really nailed a rock, but I've scraped my prop (engine off!) pulling it into an island with some shallow rocks.
At the marina where I work, we keep a ton of props in stock, and sell one almost every day when it's busy.
When I go to another lake, I always bring a spare and a puller, I don't want to be that guy who shows up at some little marina on his vacation looking for a very specific inboard prop, which they probably don't have.

rtpaxton2
07-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Similar to wotan, I live on a lake with countless unmarked shallows, and even people who know the lake well still hit stuff when they get a little careless. I've never really nailed a rock, but I've scraped my prop (engine off!) pulling it into an island with some shallow rocks.
At the marina where I work, we keep a ton of props in stock, and sell one almost every day when it's busy.
When I go to another lake, I always bring a spare and a puller, I don't want to be that guy who shows up at some little marina on his vacation looking for a very specific inboard prop, which they probably don't have.

Speaking of Props! What size prop should we be running on a Supra 24SSV with the 340 Cat? Right now I'm running 2600 pounds of ballast, and considerg moving up to 3300 pounds in the future. I have a vibration in my drive train that I am trying to chase down and I am wandering if I have a slightly bent blade.

What prop compaines are you guys using? The company I use basically charges $30 a blade (3 blades=90, 4 blades=120), and does not matter how minor the repair is you pay based on the number of blades on the prop.