PDA

View Full Version : Conbrio starting issue

conbrio90
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I have a 1990 Conbrio that recently decided that it didn't want to start. I replaced the starter about a week before the issue came up. then I found out the starter solenoid went out so I replaced it and now I have realized that I am not getting any power from the key to the solenoid. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

scottchapin
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I ran into the problem of the starter motor staying engaged when the key had been turned off (common it seems). First I replaced the starter solenoid but that didn’t fix it. After reading how low amperage and bad grounds caused this I cleaned all the connections but that still didn’t fix it. Then in taking the ground wires off again I realized the ends of the ground cables were the problem. They were loose on the wire and just twisted right off. No wonder I had a bad ground. So I cleaned up the cable ends and the cable itself then crimped the ends on real well and taped them up. That fixed the problem. Now it starts right up and is reliable.

smoothfootn
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
My ignition switch was giving me fits as well so I found a replacement @ AutoZone. It only cost $15. It was a generic 3 position switch, not exactly like the one on the boat, but it works great now! Good Luck!

cadunkle
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Check the continuity on the switch in both run and start positions. If so I'd run a new wire from key start terminal to the solenoid and just bundle it nicely along where the factory harness goes.