PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Legacy Fuel Pump

guffsx125
07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
I have a 2000 Supra Legacy with the 330hp MPI 5.7 that has a intermittent power loss problem. Last year the boat was having vapor lock problems which I now I run the blower a lot when I shut it down or just open the engine cover and it seems to fix the problem. Now the boat will run great for short runs but after a long run down the chain of lakes at faster speeds it will start to lose power. I will let is idle for a minute or two and off I go back to normal for 5 to 10 minutes and the same thing happens. The last time out I heard the high pressure pump making a lot of noise then it cleared up. I problem is the boat was converted for a water cooled fuel pump to a different pump by Indmar. I can not find the replacement pump anywhere. I was wondering if anyone has used a universal in-line pump in their boat. I need to know what pressure and volume pump that I would need to do this conversion.

stagecoach
07-22-2011, 10:36 AM
look into the electronic low pump. i had to change out mine last year and put 30days on the lake with no problems. are you blowing mini fuses in the tail ?
if its the high pump i think you can see gas fumes in the exhaust...

stagecoach
07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
use marine stabil at every fill. ethonol kills fuel pumps.

guffsx125
07-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I have started using marine sta-bil this year. My high pressure pump has been changed to the non-water cooled style already. I dont want to buy the high pressure pump if it is not the problem but I can hear it making a squealing every once in a while.

SupraTamu
07-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Last year I was having problems with the motor losing power at high speeds sort of missing. Ended up being the fuel filter was gummed up due to the ethanol in fuel. The dealership said they have been experiencing alot of this and sidt to run Sta-Bill with every time you fill up. Have not had an issue since. I also now keep a spare fuel filter in the boat just in case. I also had some high whining noise coming out of my fuel pump, I can not recall which fuel pump it was but the dealership replaced that at the same time for they said it was going bad. Fortunately it was still covered under warranty at the time. I would at least start with chaning out the fuel filter.