PDA

View Full Version : PAC LC1 Install Idea

hlewis12
07-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I have a 2002 22SSV I like everyone else struggled with the volume of the tower speakers. I did a search on here for the cheapest way to control them. Everything in my boat is powered by external amps. I have a 5 channel amp that powers the 4 in boat speakers and a sub. I also have another 2 channel amp that goes straight to the tower speakers.

I decided to try out the PAC LC1 volume controller. It was only like $14 on Amazon so I thought why not. The worst thing that can happen is I get lots of distortion from it and I'm out $14.

I got it in the mail and hooked it up. I thought to myself dang I should have bought one of these a long time ago. I wasn't exactly sure where I was going to mount it though. It does come with a dash mountable bracket but there really wasn't anywhere that I could mount it easily and have easy access to it while driving. So for about a month I've just had it zipped tied underneath my dash. Well this works for a trained professional boat driver that can pull someone up not hit any other boats and look under the dash to turn the tower speakers up (as my wife says) but its not for everyone.

So I was cleaning my boat up yesterday for the weekend and as I was sitting there looking at the dash thinking where could I mount this thing something popped in my head.

I thought those speedometer adjustment knobs are very similar in size to the PAC audio knob. Heck since the perfect pass is in there the one on the left doesn't even do anything. So I crawled up in under the dash and thought dang that will just pop out if I take the knob and screw off of the outside.

So I did.

Then I took the PAC LC1 apart and slid it in the speedo adjustments place. To my surprise it fit perfectly. Heck I was even able to use the nice aluminum knob in place of the plastic one that came with the PAC.

I know that a thread is worthless without pictures and of course I didn't take any last night when I did this but I'll definitely add them later this evening. I'm ordering another one to control the sub and I'm planning on using the right one to control this. I mean how often do you really need to adjust speedo in the boat when you have perfect pass.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. I got the pic from the manual. I also noticed that in 2002 only the 22SSV had these in the dash. I checked out the 2005 SSV and it didn't have them in the dash either but rather on the right side underneath the dash close to the throttle lever.

So maybe this wouldn't work for everyone.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sw9JkYVmeqo/Til_CYdKsGI/AAAAAAAAB-U/DPYqRu8UNfU/s800/3CF75d01.jpg

wotan2525
07-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I use PAC-1s and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would buy a Westounds 420 (unless they need that cheeeeeesy microphone.)

I run 1 PAC-1 for my in-boat speakers, 1 for my sub and 1 for my tower speakers. Mine are all mounted under the dash, but I don't have to look at them to adjust them.... I also have an amp "kill-switch" mounted under there that allows me to mute everything instantly if need to talk to someone in the water or a smokey is creeping up on me. ;)

hlewis12
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Do you have a picture of where/how they are mounted? I like where mine is mounted now but if there is a better option I may change it up a little. I definitely struggled with what to do.

Swamplandkarl
07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I use PAC-1s and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would buy a Westounds 420 (unless they need that cheeeeeesy microphone.)

I run 1 PAC-1 for my in-boat speakers, 1 for my sub and 1 for my tower speakers. Mine are all mounted under the dash, but I don't have to look at them to adjust them.... I also have an amp "kill-switch" mounted under there that allows me to mute everything instantly if need to talk to someone in the water or a smokey is creeping up on me. ;)

I have had a few systems over the years and have taken the cheap route in the past, the system in my new boat I went all out and installed the wetsounds 420 its awesome and gives you the ability to do about anything to tune your system, separate controls for your tower and in boat speaker etc...
The talk back function is very usefull when training a new rider as they can hear instructions from the boat very well even while underway and it auto mutes when in use, has come in very handy....

To each his own on what works best .........

Swamp,

chrisk
07-23-2011, 03:32 PM
^^^ What swamplandkarl said, the EQ has been incredibly handy for me this summer in teaching new people how to enjoy wakeboarding, not to mention the basic volume control along with complete customization of the sound of my system. The other cool feature, which I will honestly probably never use, is if you have a few buddies with boats that also have them, the boat link feature will allow for instant party status as each boat can play off of the same music source.

hlewis12
07-25-2011, 08:33 AM
The ability to play off of the same music source would be pretty dang cool.

wotan2525
07-25-2011, 11:01 AM
We do that with our system. Head units all have a line-in and a line-out these days, me and my friends have just added the right adapters and cables so that we can tie together.

hlewis12
07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
After I read the post above about the option to do this I wondered how it worked. So I looked up the manual for the 420 and I realized that all they were doing is hooking up a head phone cable between the boats. Then I thought anyone with a jack splitter and an aux input could do this exact same thing.

For some reason I was under the impression that this was done through bluetooth or some other wireless option. Not to knock the coolness of being able to play the same music in multiple boats but I mean running a long wire between the boats doesn't seem that appealing to me.