PDA

View Full Version : I need a history lesson

89SaultySupra
07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
I have been reading quite a bit here and I am impressed by the number of people here and their knowledge.
Here's my question:
What year did Supra start using composite stringers?

I have an 89 Saltaire, have had it for 4 years, it only has the PCM 351 but for what i do its awesome and with the electronic ignition upgrade made it more efficient.
I do all my own service and upgrades getting most of my parts for Ski DIM.

So does my boat have the composite? Or do i need to worry about wood rot on the future?

Thanks

DAFF
07-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Sorry to say you are all wood... Most 92 Supra's have the composite with the curved windhield boats, it was the transition year.

cadunkle
07-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Cool, I also have an 89 Saltare, though mine has the 454.

89 is wood. Check the motor/ trans mount lag bolts as well as the pylon lag bolts. They should snug up and bite easily. Don't crank on them or you'll strip out the wood. 92 started composite, but some were wood. Round windshield is composite, square is wood.

haugy
07-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Like others have said, you've got wood. Which at my age is always a good thing! :D

And Cadunkle is right, just for those reading, there were a few 92's that were all wood. The dead giveaway is the windsheild. No square windshields came with composite floors/stringers. Only the rounded versions.

EXCEPT! The mid 90's Comp Classics. They were a throwback to the original design. They look exactly like a 1989 Supra Comp Ts6m, but they are all composite fiberglass, no wood at all. So you may come across a mid 90's Comp that looks like a late 80's, and be confused. It's a squared windshield, old style dash, etc. Other than that very rare animal, the other square heads were wood.

jet
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
You got WOOD! :mrgreen:

wotan2525
07-22-2011, 03:35 PM
And Cadunkle is right, just for those reading, there were a few 92's that were all wood. The dead giveaway is the windsheild. No square windshields came with composite floors/stringers. Only the rounded versions.

I don't think this is proven. This board has yet to see a round windshield boat with wooden stringers... but.... given how much variation there is even in same year boats, I wouldn't doubt that they actually did make some with wooden stringers and curved windshields.