PDA

View Full Version : Worn out steering box - 2002 SSV

keithf
05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi, any-one been there done that and have some pointers?

I have a 2002 SSV with <200 hrs on it, and I have about an eighth of a turn of freeplay at the steering wheel. This makes driving a straight line a little challenging, especially with an agressive edging rider. We have a really small run so we do lots of straight/turn/repeat.

I suspect the wear is in the steering box, as I disconnected the rudder from the cable to confirm the free play is in the steering box. Although there is a little play in the rudder connecting pins too. I\'ve lubed the lower cable shaft, where it goes into the cable sleeve, as well as the rudder grease nipple.

It seems the cable and steering box are one unit, with no adjustment on the steering gears?

So I guess I should replace the steering box and cable? Where do I buy a replacement from? Or should I order from the dealer? I have a tilt steering. Any idea of cost?

Next - replacement - is it as easy as disconnecting the old cable from the rudder, typing a rope to it, and pulling it out from the steering wheel end. Then typing the rope to the rudder end of the new cable, and pulling it back in place?

Thanks! Keith.