PDA

View Full Version : Need help with drive shaft removal!

MitchP
07-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Well we hit something with the prop and bent the shaft on my 88 supra comp. The problem we are having is getting the coupler off the end of the shaft, the snap ring and nut came off but how does the coupler come off the shaft? Also where would be the place to get a good replacement part for the right price?

Thanks for the help hopefully thats enough info.

mapleleaf
07-23-2011, 10:51 PM
The driveshaft is most likely tapered with a key to the coupler. And I'd bet the problem you're having is there is not a lot of room between the coupler and the packing nut to work with......
With the nut on the drive shaft only turned on 2 turns (or another suitable spacer to keep the coupler off the tranny without wrecking the driveshaft threads), replace the coupler to tranny bolts (all 4) and start tightening them all in even increments, At some point the coupler will pop off the driveshaft, undo the bolts again and you should be good.....
Any good prop shop should be able to tell you if the shaft can be straightened, just payed $160 CAN for mine to be straightened, Ski DIM has new replacements for $300. You may also want to check if your strut was bent in the incident as well, also a good time to replace the bushings in it......

MitchP
07-23-2011, 11:21 PM
We actually rotated the engine forward, assuming the coupler was keyed and tapered like the prop, (can see the key slot on the back side of the coupler). We tried putting a puller on it and ended up breaking the puller, we quit there thinking we were going about it the wrong way. I can try the way you suggested hopefully that will work, also will check the strut. Any advice or special tools needed to replace the strut bushings.

Thanks for the help

mapleleaf
07-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I didn't actually change my strut bearings, had it done when all my running gear was repaired, Prop shop told me it could be done with the appropriate size drift to tap them out, I wasn't sure on how tight to put the set screw back to, so I had them do it, ( that and they were already doing a boat load of work!)