PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't run right.

cuffles
07-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi there, I have a '97 Supra Pirata with a 5.8 boss GT-40 EFI. The thing doent idle, spits n sputters. I have replaced the cap n rotor, sparkplugs, fuel filter and inpeller. The engine occasionally backfires. The plugs look very wet and dark brown. The left riser is much warmer than the right side also. I cant get the rpms up over 2,000 without playing with the throttle back n forth. I would appreciate any and all ideas. Thanks. I love this forum by way! I have learned alot already from you guys!

beast 496
07-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Have you had the engine ecm scanned by a competant technition? If not do so and also get the print out of the scan with all engine peramiters and trouble codes current and past history. Did you change the hi pressure pump filter? If not do so, this is located inside the hi pressure fuel canister. You mentioned changing the cap and rotor, how did you set the timing? Did you put the ecm into service mode before adjustment? 10* BTDC is proper for base timing while in service mode. Good luck Al

cuffles
07-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the help. First no I haven't had the ECU scanned. Yes I did replace the fuel cell filter. I didn't know I had to readjust the timing. I will get the timing done and get back to you. The manual says 6 degrees BTDC but you say 10 degrees. What is the proper way to time the engine? I havent timed an engine in a long while. Thanks again!