PDA

View Full Version : Prop and weight setup 2003 ssv

astinwes
07-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Last season i had no issues surfing behind our 2003 SSV. over the winter we replaced the stock prop with a 1433. The boat has great pull out of the hole, but now i cant get the surf wake clean and enough push. here is my setup, any advice:

2003 SSV
1100lb in the center locker (filled to 900 lbs)
440 lbs rear port side locker
400 lbs on top of rear port side locker
wake plate - ????
ACME 1433 prop
10.5 MPH

Does this seam like a surfable (not a real word) setup? Has anyone else had their prop effect their surf wake?

I have also heard of filling the opposite side locker slightly? Anyone had luck there?

Patrick56
07-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I have an 03' SSV and I am stilll learning on the set-up as well.

Last time out I was able to toss the rope, but there wasn't much push to the wake, and the pocket was still pretty small.

Front:
500 lb in locker
650 lb in walkway front pushed to the surf side
Rear:
300 lb in starboard locker (I'm goofy foot)
650 lb on starboard sunpad and rear seat
no weight in port side locker.
4 people on board

Speed: 10.3mph and the plate was all the way up (0%)

The nose was a bit too heavy, but it was surfable.

astinwes
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
it seems like we have similar setups, maybe this weekend i can try to fill the opposite side and see what happens.

Patrick56
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Still learning. This past weekend I went with the same set-up as before, but I filled the port side rear locker (300lbs) and sped up to 10.7mph. I think the off side weight was a mistake. I am still not getting much push. I am a bigger guy (210-215lbs), but I am also riding a 5'6" board. Any advise out there? Are the earlier V-drives just not that good for surfing? I love the wakeboarding wake, there are tons of ways to adjust it, but it just doesn't seem to respond to what I am trying for surfing. HELP!

ScottnAz
08-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Still learning. This past weekend I went with the same set-up as before, but I filled the port side rear locker (300lbs) and sped up to 10.7mph. I think the off side weight was a mistake. I am still not getting much push. I am a bigger guy (210-215lbs), but I am also riding a 5'6" board. Any advise out there? Are the earlier V-drives just not that good for surfing? I love the wakeboarding wake, there are tons of ways to adjust it, but it just doesn't seem to respond to what I am trying for surfing. HELP!
Patrick, with that setup, here's what I would do:
Front - 500 lb in locker, 300 lb from starboard locker in center walkway
Rear - 650 lb from front walkway in rear locker, 650 lb on starboard sunpad/rear seat
no weight in port locker
wakeplate 50%, raise as needed to clean up wave
speed 10.5-11.2 broad range, I know, but it's also one of those things the driver has to play with

If you can't move the 650 lb bag from the front to the rear locker, then I'd at least move that bag to the center walkway and sink the belly of the boat instead of the bow. Personally, I've found, on my 05' 22ssv, that weight too far forward is counter-productive. Also, I've never had any success with weighting the non surf side.

ScottnAz
08-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Has anyone else had their prop effect their surf wake?
I have had my wave dialed in for a few seasons, then this season replaced the prop with an ACME 1235 (14.5 x 14.25). Wave turned to garbage, and I've spent all season getting it back in shape.
I've moved weight around a bit, and played with speed and wakeplate position, but just couldn't get rid of the prop wash. I read a thread on wakeworld ( http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785959 ) and copied the wave flap that Duffy came up with. It seems to have made a nice difference

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11908&stc=1&d=1298317507

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14261&stc=1&d=1306445501

I run much more rear weight than you. Do you have any additional bags laying around?
Can you move the stock 400 bag from the starboard locker to the port side seat/sunpad while surfing?
Any pictures of last years' wave vs. this years?

Patrick56
08-17-2011, 11:54 AM
So basically you are saying more weight in the back corner and use the wakeplate to hold the nose down a bit?
Unfortunately I am still playing with old style and new style bags, so I am limited on how much I can move things around. I will give it another shot. Hopefully on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice.

Also, I am running an ACME 1939 prop (14" Dia x 15.5 Pitch) It has helped alot with slow speed control and hole shot. Not sure if anyone has experience with this prop. I think it was OEM on Wakesetters for awhile.