PDA

View Full Version : Bunches of stuff

scottchapin
07-25-2011, 04:22 PM
So about 8 weeks ago I got a 1988 Supra Mariah for $4000. It had some problems but seemed like a pretty good deal and I am happy to have an inboard after 4 boats with IOs and outboards. The motor ran well and the transmission seemed to shift well so I figured I couldn’t go too wrong for the price. I knew the boat needed some work and was prepared to put in the labor if not the money. Everything was going to have to be done on the low cost side. Eight weeks later the boat works well and we’re enjoying it. I figure I’ve probably got another $500 into it and about 100 hours of playing with it. I’ll post what I did in case someone else needs low cost options. These forums have been extremely helpful so thanks to everyone for the great posts. I won’t put in the things I learned how to do from previous posts but I’ll try to explain things I learned along the way. Supra purists may not want to read this since it is definitely a budget boat post.
I’ve also included the cheat sheet I made for the most commonly needed parts and settings.
------------
First up was power washing everything. The motor went from yuck to nice in a few minutes and the trailer wheels turned out to be chrome. The PO kept putting grease in the hubs and it had just sprayed all over the wheels so you literally couldn’t tell what was under the grease.
-----------------
The floor had some soft spots but the stringers and motor mounts feel solid so I didn’t want to replace them. I’m hoping to get some years out of it before that’s mandatory (plus we live in a really dry place and the boat is kept on the trailer where it can dry out between uses). So first up was tearing out the old carpet that looked really bad and putting in a false floor and new carpet. I just jigsawed together 3/8 outdoor plywood, covered it in Lowe’s outdoor carpet and screwed it down. Of course during this I had to create new pieces for the ones that were totally rotted. The two sections over the drive line needed replacing and creating bracing for them was an interesting experiment in engineering. The cover around the pylon was rotted too so I included that in the false floor. I chose to remove the ski pole as we only wakeboard and the pole was only good for creating bruises (any old skiers can use the tow eyes on the transom right). For the engine cover base I wrapped it in the same carpet and used SS staples. A PO had rebuilt this base with treated 2x10 and used a really ingenious way of holding it together with the odd angles. He used SS door hinges on the inside of the odd front angles. Sorry I didn’t take a picture before covering it. After reading about the trouble people have had with this, the hinges actually seem brilliant.
----------------
Next came getting the motor in shape. New plugs, points, condenser, cap, oil, trans fluid, clean the spark arrester, set the timing, aligned the motor, adjusted the carburetor (and sprayed a lot of cleaner through it -I’ll get to a rebuild over next winter), adjusted the electric choke, and replaced the drive shaft packing (thanks for the great write up on how to do this and the tip on using dental type picks!).
--------------------
I ran into the problem of the starter motor staying engaged when the key had been turned off (common it seems). First I replaced the starter solenoid but that didn’t fix it. After reading how low amperage and bad grounds caused this I cleaned all the connections but that still didn’t fix it. Then in taking the ground wires off again I realized the ends of the ground cables were the problem. They were loose on the wire and just twisted right off. No wonder I had a bad ground. So I cleaned up the cable ends and the cable itself then crimped the ends on real well and taped them up. That fixed the problem. Now it starts right up and is reliable. It still runs rough until very warm but I think the carburetor is the culprit. Also during this phase I put a cool 8 ball handle on the throttle lever so my 15 son would think the boat is cool too (Pepboys).
------------
On a water test run the boat would heat up too much (190) while idling but would cool off as soon as we started going so I thought the impeller was bad. When I took it apart the impeller still looked good but I put the new one in anyway (NAPA). After putting in a new impeller the same problem was happening. Turned out to be the EZ flush water system. I’ve got the type where the garden hose connects to a fitting mounted to the transom and the T’s into the fresh water intake hose. The plug that you put in when the hose is not connected was missing and the system was letting the impeller draw air through the line. When I got a plug and stopped the impeller from drawing air in through the fitting, and thus through the T in the fresh water intake hose, the problem went right away. I think the T is supposed to have a spring loaded valve to prevent this but apparently it needs replacing so it’s on the list for someday.
---------------
The seats looked ok (dirty white) but on further inspection three of them needed re-building as the wood was totally rotted out. I just removed the staples with a screw driver and pliers then used the rotted wood as templates to make new ones from 3/8 outdoor plywood. A couple were rotted enough to where using them as templates was more like guessing but it all worked out. Then just stapled the covers back on with SS staples. The ski locker cover and engine cover needed to have the wood replaced that the hinges mount to also. This was a very poor design with cheap materials on Supras part way back when. New wood (oak and then treated) did the trick. Once I got all the seats done I went to clean them but they turned out like crap. Magic eraser, Simple green, upholstery cleaner, nothing worked. A friend suggested painting them with vinyl spray paint as he had done it before. I decided to go for it instead of spending the money on new upholstery. 17 cans ($100) of spray paint later and it looks great, well way better than before. This paint is awesome, doesn’t come off, very easy to use, durable, inexpensive (relatively), and hides a lot. Only trouble is the paint turned out much darker than the cap would suggest. I used the medium gray which turned out more like dark gray to me (and a touch greenish). The vinyl had a few small tears in it so I taped them with vinyl tape before spraying. You can tell they were taped but it sure looks better then having tears. I used Duplicolor paint from the auto parts store. I would highly recommend this if your upholstery is ok but looks like crap due to age, dirt, etc.
-----------
The ski locker (rear bench type) Supra put in was made of thin plastic that had cracked over the years. This was a really BAD design. I wanted an easy repair and I’m not great with fiberglass so I just used the existing plastic tub and coated it with a layer of fiberglass mat. First cut it to strips you can work with then roll on the resin with a disposable roller, then the glass, then roll on more resin. I put a layer around the lip and covered the underside completely. A little sanding and spray paint and good to go for another 20 years. Probably $15 total at Lowe’s.

scottchapin
07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
The glove box insert was made of the same crappy plastic and had broken apart. The design didn’t hold hardly anything so I didn’t want to just repair it. Instead I made a new one using, you guessed it, 3/8 treated plywood. 16 different angles… interesting to measure and cut with just a little circular saw. It was hopeless to measure and cut all the pieces at once so instead I cut the back piece and put it in, then cuts the side and put them in, then the front, then the bottom. It was easier to measure once they wear in as each angle was different from any other. Once all pieces were cut out I then screwed it all together with SS screws and then filled it in with Bondo to smooth it and sanded it and painted it. Then just tapped it into place and screwed it in. A little caulk and done. Now I can actually put stuff in the glove box.
------------------
The PO had hit the dock a number time so there were places that the rub rail had crushed into the fiberglass a little. The fix was to grind out the cracks and breaks with a small grinding wheel in an electric drill then use a fiberglass resin stick to fill them in. This stuff works like Bondo but comes in a stick at Walmart in the boating isle. You just cut off a piece, kneed it together, smooth it into the cracks, let it harden, then sand it smooth. I’ve used it before and it’s permanent and tough. The only problem is that you now have a repaired spot that looks like it has been repaired so you either have to paint or gel coat. Or in my case get the top part of the boat wrapped by a friend for $200. The wrap was supposed to come out the same color blue as on the side of the boat. It doesn’t quite match but I’m thinking of going with a full wrap over the Winter so it’s ok for now. It hides all the repairs and faded gel coat nicely. If I do another wrap I’ll take all the hardware, rails, rub-rails, etc. off the boat first. The wrap guy had real trouble going around all the small cut outs.
---------------
Of course the new wrap made the side vents look like crap so I took them off and painted them black. I found new ones that were plastic chrome like the old ones but they were $25 and the paint was $4 so…
The cleats did break apart when I was removing them so they had to be replaced. Luckily there’s an older boat store close and they had some old style new cleats that fit the existing holes.
----------------
The boat came with a second battery, cables, and a Perko switch the PO had never gotten around to installing. I wanted to put the second battery in the cabinet under the dash but there was only space cut out for the original battery. Instead of putting the battery somewhere else I pulled up the carpet to learn that the original cut out was just a cut out through a thin sub floor so I just cut out a second space for the second battery. A five dollar battery box from Walmart and it was a perfect fit. The Perko switch was easy to mount to the forward wall and that position makes it easy to reach. The cables were easy to run. I just ganged wired the negatives and hid the excess cable below the sub floor.
================
With previous boats I’ve had cheap Walmart covers and expensive custom made covers. While the custom ones are nice, the cost is not. In searching Ebay I found what looked like a great deal so went ahead and bought it. The cover turned out to be really well made and the fabric feels plyable and soft but tough too. The seems are doubled and the corners all have extra reinforcement. I’m very happy with it (VORTEX MARINE). The only downside to a generic cover is getting it to be taught and have the right angles for rain run off. From other boat experiments I‘ve found PVC tubing works great along with a length of stretch cord from Lowe’s. Just make a little cage and bend into the boat and then run the cord from bow to stern. Combine it with some bungee cords and it fits great and protects the boat for a fraction of the cost of a custom cover. I know it’s not as cool looking, but the boat doesn’t seem to notice. When I get a tower I’ll mount the tower feet then put the cover on to mark where the tower feet will be on the cover. Then I’ll take the cover to the local tailor who will put in cut outs with a velcro strip so it will fit nicely around the tower. Most clothes tailors can do this easy and they are usually way cheaper than the upholstery shop. I’ll keep the stretch cord in the cover and just put two plastic hooks at each cut out.
-------------
On the first day using the boat for wakeboarding (not just testing the motor etc.) I was disappointed in the wake. Granted we only had four people in the boat and no other weight, but the wake was small with week ramps and was washing over almost everywhere. So I jumped back on here and read up. Figured out my wake plate was way too far down. The PO had only waterskied with the boat. I adjusted the plate to be ½ inch above level with the keel. This past weekend we wakeboarded again and the difference was huge. Now we’ve got a ramp and no wash. It did take some adjusting of people to get it right though. Best configuration was one person in the playpen, driver, observer, two on the right rear and one on the left. The wake is now clean but it is still wide and lippy so the pop and distance needed to clear the wake are different than anything I experienced with my previous IOs. It's going to take some getting used to and this old body is already feeling the learning curve.
-------------
I mentioned to a friend that the gunwales are slippery for people when they are stepping off the dock into the boat and I would probably put grip tape on them like I had done with previous boats. He said he had some teak left over from something else and made me two little runners to mount on the gunwale. They look great, go with the boat and work well. Great idea for very little money (free to meJ)
------------------
I’ve read all the posts and admired the pictures from you all that wet sanded your boats. Even with that inspiration I just didn’t have it in me. So I decided to just use an electric polisher with rubbing compound, then polishing compound then wax. Although the yellowish tint didn’t come out of the white gel coat completely it sure does look better. I’ve had dark colored boats in the past that always show the oxidation terrible. Man do I like white. I’ll be updating the stripe and logo sometime but in the meantime I like the retro colors.
----------------
My gauges were looking crappy as the black paint was flaking off the bevels. Instead of new gauges I used nail polish remover and q-tips and took all the paint off. The resulting brass looking gauges look kind of cool old school.
----------------

Here is the list of what I still want to do as the expendable cash becomes available:

New Prop. From the pro’s recommendations I’m going with the ACME 913. I might sacrifice a little top speed but we only wakeboard and our lake only has a 35mph limit anyway and the hole shot and speed consistency seems like it will be worth it.

Carburetor rebuild/replace. I may switch to an Edelbrock marine carb as I have always liked them and disliked the Holley 4160 that I had in a previous motorhome. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Tower. Going with the universal JOYSTICK PRO-SERIES / WAKEBOARD TOWER. I had this on my last IO and it worked great and looked good. It was easy to mount and inexpensive.

For the last IO I had I used an inexpensive bimini and mounted the poles to the tower itself using clamps from DIY Wake. I made the fabric go over the top of the tower and angled down a little to clear the rope. This gives nice headroom and looks pretty good. It worked so well I plan on doing it again. Although having said that, the strapless bimini from BigAir is sweet and I may go this way (http://bigairwaketowers.com/bimini/supershadowbimini/).

Electronic points conversion . I just gotta think this is better than running points. Everyone says it’s worth the investment and I believe it. Looking forward to the quicker starts too.

Plug wires. Just because you’ve got to now and then

Mufflers. The 351 rumbles nice but I just prefer more quiet. I really like the idea of these in-line mufflers (http://www.knbsupply.com/insisy.html). If they work as well as advertised they seem great for the cost and easy installation.

For the stereo I don’t really see a reason to have a head unit as we only ever use an Ipod anyway so my plan is to go with an Ipod mount, input, amp, speakers and sub. I like the idea of mounting the Ipod holder, input receiver and power/volume control just below the drivers window. We’ll have four 6 inch speakers that are already in the boat plus the sub on the floor just in front of the drivers feet.
Sub: http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/32296.html
Amp: http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/58000.html
Ipod adapter: http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?keyword=Jensen+JPORT+Audio+Adapter+For+MP 3%2C+iPod%2C+or+Satellite+Radio+-+iPod%2FMP3+&formsearch=Y&action=search

My driveway is a little steep so the trailer always scrapes when backing in. After reviewing the posts I plan to weld on some small wheels like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/steel-mini-roller-weld-on/49078 . Over next winter I’ll put the boat on a friends lift and also repaint the trailer after welding on the wheels.

I’m pretty happy with the boat, especially for only having $4500 in it. The family and friends are having fun. That’s it for now, and that’s enough!

scottchapin
07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Supra Mariah 1988, 21’, 7’11”, 2800

1988 Pleasure Craft Marine PCM
Ford 351 Windsor
240 HP, L hand rotation
Model # PLD-WR-L10
Serial # 281316

Firing order 13726548
Timing 10’ BTDC
Point Gap .018
Dwell 29-33’
Plug gap .035
Compression ?

Transmission
Borg Warner Velvet Drive
Model 10-17-00
Serial #29380
Ratio 1:1
GM ATF Dextron III 1.5 quarts

Impeller
PCM
NAPA #18-3060 $31

OIL
NAPA 40wt

Oil Filter
NAPA Gold #1515

Fuel Filter/water separator
Fram Housing
NAPA Gold 3110
Or Fram C1110P0

Plugs
Autolite #24

Points/cond/cap
PCM Tune-Up Kit #RP173024A
for Prestolite screw down caps
NAPA 18-5275 $51
Changing to electronic points use:
Mallory kit skidim.com #13212 $144
And cap #1307 $25

Carburetor
Holley E8JL 9510 CA List 50463

For parts
www.skidim.com
803-345-0996

Turrillo
07-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Hello. I have an 89 Sunsport. See my thread here called "What to do with my Sunsport. You will get an idea of what a rebuild of the floor entails. Also I put in a sound system that would really interest you I think.

wotan2525
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Cool posts! I've never heard of vinyl paint before.... it looks great! Please update us on how it lasts....

scottchapin
07-25-2011, 06:15 PM
We used the boat this weekend with 8 people in it. One spot on the vinyl flaked off where there must have been some dirt on it (the size of a pea) when I sprayed or something. I just grabbed the can and touched it up and it blended right in. My new favorite product. Hopefully time will be kind. After a full day of people, water, towels etc. the paint still looked brand new.

scottchapin
07-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Here's a few of the cover. BTW I put some split foam noodles on the windshield top to protect the cover from getting ripped by the force of the bungee cords. Used this trick on a previous cover and it really made a difference as the windows are sort of sharp.

scottchapin
07-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Picture of glove box

matt k
07-27-2011, 02:31 PM
i'm really impressed with how well the painted vinyl came out. Mine's pretty dingy and faded as well, maybe this is the way to go...

Blackntan90
07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I was going to ask about the pvc trick for the cover- great idea- I may steal that one....thanks for posting. Oh, GREAT looking boat!!

jet
07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Nice man..nice..

bdumas35
07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Looking good Scotty.

haugy
07-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Well I just didn't want to read the novel. So congrats on the boat. My last Supra was a Mariah.