PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new cover

robdaniel1
07-27-2011, 09:03 PM
I have a 2001 Launch. I have used the Supra Covers which are fine but only last a few years. Does anyone have a suggestion.

20' 11"
98 inch beam

Thanks,

wotan2525
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Very happy with skiboatcovers.com cover that I bought this year. Fits great and keeps the weather out. Price was about $800 and was the cheapest truly "custom" fit option I found.

scottchapin
07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
With previous boats I’ve had cheap Walmart covers and expensive custom made covers. While the custom ones are nice, the cost is not. In searching Ebay I found what looked like a great deal so went ahead and bought it. The cover turned out to be really well made and the fabric feels plyable and soft but tough too. The seems are doubled and the corners all have extra reinforcement. I’m very happy with it (VORTEX MARINE). The only downside to a generic cover is getting it to be taught and have the right angles for rain run off. From other boat experiments I‘ve found PVC tubing works great along with a length of stretch cord from Lowe’s. Just make a little cage and bend into the boat and then run the cord from bow to stern. Combine it with some bungee cords and it fits great and protects the boat for a fraction of the cost of a custom cover. I know it’s not as cool looking, but the boat doesn’t seem to notice. When I get a tower I’ll mount the tower feet then put the cover on to mark where the tower feet will be on the cover. Then I’ll take the cover to the local tailor who will put in cut outs with a velcro strip so it will fit nicely around the tower. Most clothes tailors can do this easy and they are usually way cheaper than the upholstery shop. I’ll keep the stretch cord in the cover and just put two plastic hooks at each cut out.

robdaniel1
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I noticed your cage in your rebuild thread.

Can you give me a little more direction on how you did it

crystal waters
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM
used skiboatcovers.com and thrilled with the product and the results.
You have options as to the fabric you wish to use. If you are wanting longevity suggest you go with the sunbrella.

scottchapin
07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
567856797649Here's is a picture of the PVC cage. Just used 3/4 inch tubing and elbows and then two 1" x 3/4" t's for the middle piece and put a small screw on each side.

robdaniel1
07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks. Going to give that a try I think.

Loved your thread about your boat and how you were making repairs with
such a reasonable cost.

How is the vinyl paint holding up.

robdaniel1
08-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Went with Skiboatcovers.com.

It is an investment, but I was really blown away with the quality.

Very happy

chautauquasun
08-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I am not sure where you are located but here is something to consider. I live in Western Pa/Western NY and own a 20' Supra Rider. We have a large population of Amish families. You may or not be familiar with them but they are very skilled craftsman. I had a guy make me a custom fitted cover out of Sunbrella fabric this past spring for $325.00. That included to new poles that actually snap into the cover rather then using the old style with the open gromets sp? that go through the cover and eventually tear. It has been perfect this year...no leaks and it looks great. Not sure if that is an option where you are...but I would highly recommend it.