PDA

View Full Version : 1986 SUPRA SUNSPORT (PCM) 351 , How to rebuild velvet drive 1:1, general problems

lively
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM
HOLY SUPRA FORUMS !!!! WERE BACK UPP !!!

hello to all !!

I have traded my 08 ktm 450 for a 1986 supra sunsport with a pcm 351 winsor and a velvet drive 1:1

I found one stringer that is rotten and the floor where i guess the ski pole was ... is soft ... so here is what i plan to do

interior is shot ...

do i pull the cap off to re do the stringers and flooring .. how much harder is it to do it with the cap on ?

the back half where the tank is, looks wet so i plan to rip the floor out , remove foam , take out the super trapp and replace with 3" stainless , redo the interior , ..

mine does not have a spotters seat , it only has a poled passenger seat witch i dont like .. is there somewhere to look for diagrams of there framing ? .... Can i weld the exhaust manifolds ? or just buy a new one ?

sorry bout all the questions but this forum has been down since june !! lol please guys any help is greatly appreciated!!

what about spider cracks ? should i worry ? thanks , kyle also where can i find the rear vent bezels ? (cover vent)

bens250ex
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM
did you trade your ktm straight upfor the boat??

bens250ex
08-11-2011, 11:56 AM
for the stringer/floor look at my thread it should answer most of your questions. Just be done with it and pull the cap off. There is no way to fix these boats with the cap on. It would be comparable to trying to pull the cam out of your 450 with the plastic/tank still on.....

lively
08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
yes sir !! , but it was a good bike and the boat runs like a champ just needs some wood work and some glassing done ...

lively
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
for the stringer/floor look at my thread it should answer most of your questions. Just be done with it and pull the cap off. There is no way to fix these boats with the cap on. It would be comparable to trying to pull the cam out of your 450 with the plastic/tank still on.....

yeah thats what i thought too ... but can i put it up on like some 4x4 post or do i need to remove the whole shell and set it on the ground ? ,, thanks for the help bud !

lively
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
hey where do i go for the thread you have ?

lively
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
So what do u think about having a few friends lifting the cap off the boat ?
I am pulling the motor this weekend and try and get the rub rail prepped and rivets drilled
Out , I wonder how hard it's going to be to line the drive a prop shaft back up ?

Anyone ?! Thanks ahead for any response ...

bens250ex
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
looks like you found my thread, its the one about new supra owner needs some help. Basically just fallow along as i did and you should be good togo. Any questions just ask.

lively
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
ok so i have been thinking of the flooring ... after i put the cap back on do you think i could glass over the gunwale mounts on the bottom and run carpet to flush up the sides instead of exposed screws ? IDk just was a thought .. I hope to hell this hoist gets my motor out its got 117" of pick to the boom and my gunwale to ground is a little over 5 1/2 ' so im crossing my fingers !! where did you get you glass /Resin/ wood ?

lively
08-13-2011, 10:24 PM
So pulled the motor today and hung on the stand , cut up some flooring and found saturated foam , it looks like no drainage .. so what to do with this .... Ill post some pics soon , thanks

Okie Boarder
08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
You definitely want to pull the cap to do the work. Take a look around on here and you'll find several rebuild threads. You can build some sort of hoist to lift the cap, then pull the lower put out from under it and lower the cap down a bit and stabilize it. You can just let it sit kind of up in the air while you work woth the bottom if you'd like...no reason to set it on the ground. You'll definitely find a lot of water up underneath...that is pretty typical. A good place for glass and resin is www.uscomposites.com You'll want to start thinking about foam vs. no foam with respect to drainage. If you do no foam you can put limber holes in the stringers so any water getting into the boat always drains to the bilge. Keep the questions coming and be sure to post some pics. There are quite a few on here that have done rebuilds that can help.

lively
08-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah i seen a lift that a guy made of 4x4's think maybe ill do that .. there are alot of info on this forum ! I mean with foam what would be the positive out look with or with out ? what did you do ?

lively
08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
hey another question... I dont have a wake plate at all .. looks like someone just took it off , where can i find one at ?

wakeup
08-15-2011, 12:34 AM
i have a factory wakeplate you can have....manual adjustment .......pm me your address if you need it.......off of 88 so should be same.....

lively
08-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Heck ya man ! I 'll send you a pm .. Thanks

lively
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
so here are some pics of before everything and a little of taking the interior out ..7652

well the pic uploader is not working for my photos ... so here is the link to view my photos

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/1313436915.jpghttp://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/1313436916.jpghttp://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/1313436917.jpghttp://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/1313436914.jpg

never mind i got it lol .. not computer savy like i thought

so long story short , i traded my 08 KTM 450 xc-f straight up for this boat , with about 4k in upgrades before i have it wrapped or painted what do you think of the deal ?

And i want to put a spotters seat where u see the radio and battery box . what do yall recommend on going about that ?

bens250ex
08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
it was prob a fair deal, i might have traded my ltr450 for it. I love my quad though.

lively
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
yeah well my bike had a warranty and a brand new Rf4 motor .. i blew it up during winter series at oak hill .. that why i loved that warranty ! lol that rack is crap too ... i just dont think im going to be able to replace it since they have already drilled holes , where do you think i could get some color for gel coat ?

bens250ex
08-16-2011, 02:25 PM
if you are going to split it you might as well paint it. I plan on painting mine since i got it split.

lively
08-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Ha ha i was just about to type that ... I was reading up on painting fiberglass , yeah i want to but im still wondering how i would set it off the bunks to spray the lower belly .. also have you ever sprayed fiberglass ? how do you prep the gel coat ? i mean my understanding in painting is prep / prime / paint .. but with the gel coat does it need to be removed to paint and then re gel coat ... is that stuff clear ?

Ptownkid
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
You can just paint the gel coat without problems. Prep would involve some sanding to even the surface and possibly some gelcoat repair/fill if you have dings or cracks. Most people use a 2 part poly paint.

lively
08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
where could i get the paint at Home depo? or like a paint store ? how many gallons u think it would take ? and just shoot clear over it when done ? thanks !

bdumas35
08-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Lively,

If you are going to paint do a search for Awlgrip or Interlux Marine Paints. Some have also had success with Dupont Imron Polyurethane. None of the good stuff is cheap though.

Forget about Home Depot

lively
08-16-2011, 05:34 PM
ok ill check it out .. ha ha i figured home depot wouldnt .. just had to ask ... so when painting how much sanding should be done (prep)

bdumas35
08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey Lively,

Maybe you could start a rebuild thread. Looks like we're stuck in a velvet drive rebuild thread. You could probably get a lot more info and advice in a new thread.
Just trying to help.

lively
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
ha ha i was thinking to myself today looking at all these responses lol i was like what the hell ? I will do that ... " 86 supra sunsport rebuild" will be the new thread .. thanks for all the help guys

Ptownkid
08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Most of the places I've talked to use either interlux or Endura

lively
08-17-2011, 09:45 AM
http://www.ipaint.us/blwapoto.html

I was looking at this site , what do yall think ? Im looking at doing two tone black /orange

I really dont know that much about marine paint , so do yall know what i would need ? the scheme will be from bow to middle of boat (black) , then from there to rear of boat burnt orange ... what would be a good durable paint for bottom and top of boat ?