PDA

View Full Version : Any one own a cabin cruiser??

DAFF
08-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I've been looking for a smaller overnighter 24-26 foot. Like to get something which has a newer look but not too crazy in price. I think $15000 will be my cap. Want to use it like a cottage up north on the lakes and a big lake machine.

For anyone who was wondering how the Sunsports do on the open lakes ??? 6 foot rollers the other weekend, the ol Supra took on some water but got us all back home safe and sound. Had to take on the waves on a slight angle so the bow would not scoop fresh water. Even had some positive comments back at the harbour. No one could believe how well the boat did !!!!

Weather went from calm to insane in about 15min. All due to a thunderstorm on the other side of the lake 50 ++ miles away. I now know why they call it lake Erie!!!!

haugy
08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
You might be able to find a decent Sea-Ray or Chris craft for that price. Look at the older Chris Craft's.

Also, how often do you get big waves? And just for the record, 6 ft rollers would be a royal PITA in my 41' Chris Craft Commander. So is there a wee bit of exaggeration there on the size of the wave? No way in hell I would ever try 6 footers in my Saltare. I know what that boat can do, and 6 footers would go over it.

Just for clarification: In nautical terms, if a wave is 6ft, that means it's 6ft from sea level to top of the wave. And since wave's also have valleys or lows, it's 5-6ft down as well. Therefore creating almost a 12 foot span from bottom of wave to top. Do you think the wave were more like 3 footers, 6foot overall? Which even then is like constant cruiser waves. But very common on big lakes.

If you think the waves were more like 3 footers, look into houseboats as well. They are very cheap, and can handle 3 footers within reason.

cadunkle
08-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Didn't know you own a Commander. For a few years now I've been toying with the idea of buying one to use as a summer/vacation home on the water. Or a tax free escape if the SHTF. Anything from 38' to 47' aft cabins. Never been on one so not sure how much room there is or anything like that, but I've been a lurker on the CCC forum or years. Every now and again I see them up for reasonable prices. Would be a fun getaway I think, especially being in a neat area to boat, right near the Delaware river with the Jersey shore and the Chesapeake Bay a short drive by boat.

How do you like yours? Do you have 427s or diesels? How has it been on maintenance and such? What is involved in owning a large boat like that? Up here there would be added hassle with the winter freeze, either bubblers or haul it every winter. How is it as far as room, comfort, logistics, etc. of staying on the boat for a couple days to a couple weeks at a time? Just a crazy idea I've been toying with for years and would love to do. It's either buy a Commander and keep it a short drive from home or buy a lake house 12+ hours away. I'd prefer a lake house but I'd get a lot more use out of a Commander.

DAFF
08-11-2011, 09:45 PM
The wave would be in the 3-4' range as you describe it. Any how way too big for any ski boat.....

As for the CC have my eye on a Sea Ray 22da, has an overall length of 24' and very low hours...

haugy
08-12-2011, 11:06 AM
How do you like yours? Do you have 427s or diesels? How has it been on maintenance and such? What is involved in owning a large boat like that? Up here there would be added hassle with the winter freeze, either bubblers or haul it every winter. How is it as far as room, comfort, logistics, etc. of staying on the boat for a couple days to a couple weeks at a time? Just a crazy idea I've been toying with for years and would love to do. It's either buy a Commander and keep it a short drive from home or buy a lake house 12+ hours away. I'd prefer a lake house but I'd get a lot more use out of a Commander.

1978 CC Commander 700 Diesels. My dad got it back in 1980. I bought if from him back 5 years ago. I grew up on this boat, and have had some of the best experiences of my life on it. I want my boy to have the same. Maintenance wise, it's like a big ski boat. There are regular things, but you have to do them twice, not just once. If you do little things over time, it's never a real hassle. But if I let them pile up. You'll be spending a few weekends swearing and cussing trying to get it all done. Nothing complex or overly challenging if you can rebuild a Supra boat, not just the engine.

We've stayed on it for weeks at a time. My dad, mom, me and sis. It has a very roomy master cabin with two beds that are bigger than a full mattress. The bow cabin has bunk beds great for kids. I slept in them till I was 15-16. Showers in the bow and stern, although the stern bathroom is TINY. The galley is small, but functional. Has a full kitchen, oven, stove, microwave, fridge. Me myself, and maybe my wife could easily live on it. But with a kid, I would only limit it to a couple weeks at a time.

This particular boat has made 14 Gulf of Mexico runs, been through Tampa Bay during storms, out ran two waterspouts, and battered by a few hurricanes but never full on. It's been to the Keys, Bimini, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Hawks Cay, and the North side of Cuba. It's been through the Bermuda Triangle 3 times. And in between those times, it was on a Lake in North Alabama. Yeah, it's a capable as hell boat. Which is why I refuse to let it leave the family. I've got it in a full on restoration now. It's a 33yr old boat that never had a full restoration till now. It was all original. I've gutted it, got the engines back into tip-top shape, and am redoing the interior, wiring, helms, and living quarters. I hope to be taking my boy out on it when he's 5yrs old.

The wave would be in the 3-4' range as you describe it. Any how way too big for any ski boat.....

As for the CC have my eye on a Sea Ray 22da, has an overall length of 24' and very low hours...

Yeah, those are no fun to be in a skiboat.

That's a good boat, make sure it has a genset of some type, and an A/C. I know you think you may not need it. But having it for kids to cool off in during hot days is a saviour. Single engine? Also if you go to look at one, check out it's breaker panel. Make sure you can swith to things on shore power, and off. See what it's capable of. I've seen so many people buy a cruiser and the breaker panels or electrical is a mess, and you can't switch on half of the stuff without popping breakers from overload.

Salty87
08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
i'd love to have bigger boat to overnight on.

haugy....show us the pics!