PDA

View Full Version : 2009 21v - taking on water - ideas?

The Squeaky Wheel
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
The autobilge on my '09 21 v fires fairly often when the boat is up on plane. It doesn't bilge when at rest.

Would the propseal be the most common suspect? How could I check and adjust it if necessary?

I've checked the hose clamps on the drains already.

Thanks.

Sluggo
08-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I have water coming in underway from my balast system. Valves are all closed and there is a leak in one of the joints before the last sprinkler valve. Not going to mess with it until next spring when I do the balast pump upgrade.

docdrs
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Is your dripless seal cooled by a line coming off your exhaust quick drain. Its heating up your dripless housing causing it to expand and leak around the seal

The Squeaky Wheel
08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Is your dripless seal cooled by a line coming off your exhaust quick drain. Its heating up your dripless housing causing it to expand and leak around the seal

Interesting...how do I test that theory?

cadunkle
08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Two things to check. Is the line going to the dripless seal coming off the exhaust or somewhere right after the raw water pump? Feel the line, if it's hot water then it could be your problem. But the easiest way, look at your shaft seal while in gear and running, if you see water dripping/flowing out there's your problem.

Fman
08-14-2011, 08:47 PM
FYI, make sure and check it while in gear on the water, not on a fake lake. You can burn up your strut shaft bushings if you run the boat in gear while on a fake lake. There is no water being circulated in the bushing when the shaft is moving when out of the water, only when its in the water.

Also another item to check, if you have a hotwater shower, make sure the valve on the head did not get turned on...it will leake quite a bit of water out of it if its open at all. Happened to me this year...