PDA

View Full Version : Replacement rudder for '89 Saltare?

cadunkle
08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Sadly nearing the end of the season, so time to start thinking about replacing my rudder. Is there a drop in replacement with the same hole size and same bolt pattern? Also want to be sure I don't downsize the rudder. I don't expect handling around the docks to be the greatest with a 23' boat, but it does leave something to be desired. It's a lot of mass and wetted area to move, so don't want to sacrifice handling when changing from the original Supra rudder.Also hoping to use a replacement with a dripless/greasable lip style seal or whatever, not a traditional packing. What rudders ware out there and will work? What have you guys used?

Ptownkid
08-13-2011, 06:36 PM
The marine hardware one from skidim should be drop in...sometimes you have to enlarge the hole, but that's a small task. It has slots instead of holes to fit a wide variety of hole patterns. On my 92 saltare, the hole is big enough to retro-fit with no modification. There are other choices of course, like OJ, but the one skidim has is about as cheap as they come and you'll pay though the nose for most others.

mapleleaf
08-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Dropped in the Marine Hardware rudder this yr to my Conbrio, works great, no mod's for me, but I've heard that the hole for the rudder port sometimes needs to be enlarged. This one has O rings and is nongreasable, steers smooth....

cadunkle
08-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like my rudder is 12 5/8" tall x 7 1/8" long. Can't tell the port size in teh hull but the rudder shaft seems to be 1 1/4" and if the machined lip in the rudder housing is 2", if that is any indication of the through hull size. The bolt patter in 2 3/4" square, measured straight across, not diagonal.

The Marine Hardware rudder skidim sells is 1/4" taller and slightly longer, but is angle cut on the back so may have less surface area. The rudder port is 2" so will hopefully fit my thorugh hull. If not, it can't be any worse than drilling the 2" hole for the Perfect Pass paddlewheel. If no one else chimes in I'll probably go with this rudder. It's the last big item my boat needs so will be happy to get it done.

To you guys who have used this rudder, how do you like it? Does it handle noticeably different from the original Supra rudder?

Ptownkid
08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
if you can find the thread now that the search does not work...a few people have this rudder and feel it performs better. Don't get hung up on small sizing differences, there's a reason skidim only carries ONE replacement inboard rudder.

EDIT: here it is https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?8781-Aftermarket-vs-original-rudder

mapleleaf
08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I had to readjust my reversing techniques around the dock, but nothing else....it turns like a hot knife through butter.....on a hot summer day!