PDA

View Full Version : Two big waves over the bow...boat won't start

gstar
08-13-2011, 10:43 PM
... And new problem today after I took two massive waves over the bow is my boat won't start!

The boat ran fine and the bilge pump emptied the water out quickly right when it happened, but when I went to start it after sitting on the lift draining for a few minutes, it wouldn't start. Specifically, the
blower was running but the starter didn't even make a clicking sound. Pure silence when you turn the key(minus blower noise).

Obviously something got wet that shouldn't have! Any ideas?

cadunkle
08-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Check for +12v at the solenoid and at the starter while in the start position. If not, wiring/ignition switch issue. If yes, your starter and/or solenoid are kaput. Also check/clean your engine block ground from the battery.

gstar
08-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Update

I checked the starter by jumping it at the starter relay. The starter relay also registered power when the key was turned, so I assume the ignition switch is
working. This made me think the starter relay is shot. It looks original to the boat (1992 Mariah) so I ordered a new one. Hopefully I can change this on the
weekend and the problem will be solved.

Does anyone have any ideas about why having water come in the boat and into the bilge would cause this problem. Would the starter getting we at the bottom of the motor short something out? I just don't see a connection between the waves over the bow and the electrical malfunction, but i don't believe in coincidence, so something happened when the water came in.

FULL-THROTTLE
08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
On the engine you will see a big circuit breaker, it is usually red and mounted on a small metal plate where the wiring harness comes onto the engine, it should be a press to reset type, it may have a flexible plastic cover. Press on it and you will feel it if it presses in and holds.

Fran

FULL-THROTTLE
08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
7765 r/side behind air cleaner

gstar
08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Update:

Boat is still not working. I thought the starter relay was bad. I had 12.42 volts at the battery and at the hot connection on the relay. My friend also could jump
the starter by connecting two points on the back of the relay (not sure which two). This seemed to rule out the starter.

I changed the relay with the one I got from skidim and the boat now makes a clicking noise when you turn the key and a low pitch noise comes from the starter
but it doesn't crank. The new relay looks different that the old one, but it still has four posts (two big two little). I connected the starter to one large post (the
top post) and the battery hot to the other large post (bottom) along with a small red wire that goes to the 50 amp breaker (I was told it doesn't matter which
large post the starter and the battery hot are connected to top vs. bottom). I connected a small red wire that goes to the 12.5 amp breaker (and ultimately
looks like it connects to the coil) to the post marked I and connected the small yellow with red stripe neutral safety wire to the small post labeled S. Is this
installed correctly? I'm nearly certain this is how the old relay was installed, but I couldn't see the S and I markings in the picture I took of the old relay. See the
attached picture.

Now that the relay is clicking, I'm prone to think it is working and suspect that something is up with the starter. I'm reluctant to order one though because it
cranked right over when my friend touched to posts together. What two posts do you jump to test the starter? Does this prove the starter is still good?

I cleaned both battery connections, the ground from the battery to the front of the motor, the connection to the starter, and all the connections at the starter
relay.

I have a meter but have little experience using it. Are there any tests you would recommend to rule out any other components? If so please explain where to
place each probe and what setting to have the meter at.

Lastly, what are the breakers supposed to do when you push them. The 12.5 went in easily and made a little clicking noise and then came out. The 50 amp did nothing really. It didn't seem to have any give in it to push in. I pulled it out and it seemed like you could push it back in a little and then it stayed in.

Sorry for the ramblings. Kind of stuck here. Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer not to just keep changing parts, but absent some suggestions, I planon replacing both relays, and then probably the starter (new this year already).

michael hunter
08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
That S term on the relay should be connected to the Ign switch the I term goes to the coil. You can jump the relay by using a jumper cable from one large term to the other.

gstar
09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
It was the starter that was bad (maybe the relay too). I was sent on a bit of a goose chase by the fact that my friend did jump the starter when he tried it at the relay. Took it in for testing and it didn't work at all.
Started right up after changing. Thanks for the help.