PDA

View Full Version : no power to the fuel pump

swervedog19
08-14-2011, 08:45 PM
my friend has has an 04 24ft. we were on the lake when and it was running great. we stopped to talk to another boat and the supra died when it was idling. we towed it back to the dock and thought maybe the fuel pump was bad because it wasnt pumping when the key was turned and the boat wouldnt start at all. replaced the fuel pump and the boat still wouldnt start. turned the key and the new pump was not pumping. checked the power and there was nothing to the fuel pump. checked all the fuses and relay switches on the boat and everything looked good. is there an inline fuse somewhere that we are missing? we have pretty much looked at everything and cant figure it out. heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

wakeup
08-15-2011, 12:26 AM
no dont know alot about this actual boat but do know on alot of cars and some boats they run the fuel pump after the oil pressure switch so if the motor loses oil pressure it kills fuel pump.dont know how it works but just a thought...........also my buddy has 02 malibu and fuel pump died on him and even the marina couldnt figure it out so they ran it to the power wire going to ignition systen{coil positive i think} and hasnt had a run issue since and that was several years ago.

csleaver
08-16-2011, 05:04 AM
It's true that a lot of motors with carbs and electric pumps use an oil pressure safety switch to prevent the fuel pump from running if the motor stalls (they are also wired to the crank circuit to prime). Most fuel injected motors have a fuse and a relay in the fuel pump power circuit. You may find them near the ECM (between motor/trans area). I'm not sure what motor you have or what was commonly used in 04. A lot of Indmar MPI motors have three fuses with a cover clipped over the top of them and three relays (starter, 12v power feed, fuel pump). If it is not a fuse or relay, take it to your dealer. Good luck.