PDA

View Full Version : No Reverse... What's the deal???

tallnfast
08-14-2011, 09:58 PM
So... i have a 86 sunsport with a 351w and a PCM 1:1 transmission (i think) and long story short it will not go into reverse?
anyone else have this problem or anyone have any ideas... i have a "mechanical" friend and says he couldn't figure it out... so anyone have any ideas...
thanks so much!

lively
08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
hello,

Let me just say love the boat , i have seen your rebuild pics !

Now for the reverse issue I have the same problem on my 86 sunsport with 1:1 velvet ... I have the repair info on the trans and it seems to have a friction plate that drives the ring gear to back the boat up , with that said have you checked your fluid only after motor is warm ? if the levels are good then i would look and listen for dragging or grinding noises ...I backed mine off the ramp into sand and it stopped working so i have mine at my shop because im choosing to rebuild it . due to the stringer winter fun ! I have also heard of the selector shaft loosing seal pressure .. I hope this gives you a little more info , and if you hear of anymore info from anyone please share ... what happened with yours?

wakeup
08-15-2011, 12:19 AM
i have an 88 supra comp and my reverse went out 2 years ago with no noise at all.just wouldnt go into reverse so i took it home and removed tranny to find a broke clutch plate.im very mechanically inclined so i chose to rebuild tranny myself and have put 600 hours or so on it since rebuild with no problems and cheap tranny to rebuild to.

lively
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
was it pretty simple to rebuild ? im almost ready to do mine , I see some bearings that need to be pressed ... and witch side do i pull from bell housing ? or drive side ? thanks

lively
08-18-2011, 10:43 AM
tallnfast -- did you ever find out what it was ?

tstruth
09-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Seems I have the same problem with my 1986 Supra Comp TS6 w/ a 351W. Forward but no reverse. When I put it in reverse she just idles up. I could use some advice on where to by the parts and any instructions.
Thanks,
Tom

Cusefan78
09-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Skidim. They will have all the parts and a manual

jtryon
09-29-2014, 09:43 AM
there's a lot of info on these over on correctcraftfan.com. i had the same issue three years ago in my '88 sunsport, dealt with it for a season-and-a-half and then sent it out to Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio after hearing EVERYONE say that they are the best guys around to rebuild these. the transmission guru on that site said it's a pretty common issue once these tranny's get older, especially since not everyone takes care of them like they should. the issue on your is probably the same, snapped reverse plates. a rebuild was around $1000, get a new damper plate from them for $75-ish at the same time. the newer-style damper plates (look like a "star") are better and cheaper than other sites have them. a local shop quoted me $2200 for the rebuild, so if you pull it yourself and put the rebuilt one back in when it comes back, you'll save about a grand. good luck!

Cusefan78
09-29-2014, 10:56 AM
It's not really a matter of taking care of it. The discs are graphite and wear down. The teeth that sit on the spindle eventually wear out and then reverse or forward stop working. This isn't a very hard job. You don't need to send it out. Follow the manual and anyone with the slightest mechanical ability can rebuild one in a few hours. Take your time keep everything clean and you'll have a trouble free tranny for many years. I would change the damper plate and the rear seal While its apart.

lively
09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Buy some reverse springs while its apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tstruth
09-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys for the reply. I have never taken apart a transmission but I am looking forward to seeing how this thing works. I have the boat up in New Hampshire and have a couple of more weekends before i winterize and store. This sounds like a nice project for the early spring. I have done allot of the work on this old boat, but I do have to say she has a nice sleek look to her. I hope to have this boat for several more years to come. I will follow all your advice and change the other components that you guys have mentioned. I might call on you later if I run into trouble.

Thanks again for the advice.
Tom

tstruth
05-18-2015, 05:21 PM
I finally have my transmission on the bench ready for the dismantling. I am having difficulty removing the Pump housing. The four bolts are removed but not sure why she won't release. Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks

Cusefan78
05-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Yeah you have to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it free. Mine was like that also. Once you get it to move it will come out. Make sure you mark which way is up before removing it. There is on big oring and two small ones behind it.

tstruth
05-18-2015, 07:56 PM
I have been tapping pretty hard for a couple hours now. Lubricating and tapping, nothing but a tired arm. Would i cause any damage if I applied heat?

Cusefan78
05-18-2015, 09:04 PM
It's just a cover with ports in it. Mine was on there pretty good. I can't remember but I may have used a screw driver that was taped up to get it loosened up. Just becareful you don't want to scar it. I think there is a notch on there

tstruth
05-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Got it apart. Seems like the plate pressure springs had some issues. Three of them were broken in two pieces and caused some damage to the friction clutch plate. The others springs were bent and wedged between the plates. It's worn hard on the edges and has a pretty good crack. It also seems that it blew a hole through the forward and reverse assembly bushing. Think that might of been the problem.1578915790

tstruth
05-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Another picture15791

Cusefan78
05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Yup that's bad. 15792 here is what they are suppose to look like. Skidm sent me an extra set for some reason. Pretty sure the springs come with the rebuild kit.

tstruth
05-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Do you think that is the reason for no reverse? Wondering if I should replace the clutch plates or leave it alone. They whole unit looks clean. Also the hole in the forward and reverse adapter bushing. Does that need to replaced? and if so,15804 is it one piece or does it come apart?

Thanks.

Cusefan78
05-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Myra's I would replace Those discs and springs. I would also change all the discs and fiction plates for both forward and reverse. If you have it out you just over hall the whole thing. Its not much more work. Seals orings and discs.

jtryon
05-21-2015, 08:53 AM
yes, the cracked plates are the typical reason for reverse failure on these transmissions, the same thing happened to mine before i got it rebuilt.

tstruth
05-25-2015, 08:31 PM
I just want to give an update on the transmission rebuilt. I put much thought in to doing the inner clutch plates on the ring gear since I had it all apart on the bench but the inside of the transmission looked clean and I went with the old saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix". I replaced the reverse clutch plates and the eleven spring. Put her back together and went to the lake to install on the boat. I left the Damper plate alone. It looked good with no sign of any wear. I cleaned the surface and lubed the gear. After locking on the bell housing and fastening the transmission to it I noticed the motor dropped down an inch seeing that I removed the rear motor mounts, the shaft coupling would not line up. This was a problem. After some thought I loosened up the swivel on the front motor mounts, took a strap and tied in to the side of the trailer, fed the strap under the transmission and tied the other end of the strap to the trailer hick on my truck. Pulled the truck forward a little and the transmission raised up and lined up perfectly. locked it up to the rear motor mounts and finished the install. Kept the same cooler and hoses. Filled it up with two quarts of fluid, changed the engine oil and filter and dropped her in the lake. Tried to start her and no luck. No spark. Puzzled for a few and decided to check the ballast resister seeing that I had to remove her during the rebuild. Puller the cover and one of the connections came off. Connected it and started her up. I let the motor warm up a bit and when I pulled the throttle back she went back as well.

I would like to thank all of you folks that took the time to give me advice and help. Thanks Lively for the pictures. One strange thing I noticed during the rebuild. My forward and reverse adapter looked as if it was damaged. Like something blew a hole through it. After some research I found the it was actually a port. So I put her back in. I found one online without the port and ordered it before i realized it. Hopefully I can send it back. No idea why some have it and some don't. If any one needs one without a port, let me know.

Tom

lively
05-27-2015, 12:08 AM
I just want to give an update on the transmission rebuilt. I put much thought in to doing the inner clutch plates on the ring gear since I had it all apart on the bench but the inside of the transmission looked clean and I went with the old saying, "If it's not broke, don't fix". I replaced the reverse clutch plates and the eleven spring. Put her back together and went to the lake to install on the boat. I left the Damper plate alone. It looked good with no sign of any wear. I cleaned the surface and lubed the gear. After locking on the bell housing and fastening the transmission to it I noticed the motor dropped down an inch seeing that I removed the rear motor mounts, the shaft coupling would not line up. This was a problem. After some thought I loosened up the swivel on the front motor mounts, took a strap and tied in to the side of the trailer, fed the strap under the transmission and tied the other end of the strap to the trailer hick on my truck. Pulled the truck forward a little and the transmission raised up and lined up perfectly. locked it up to the rear motor mounts and finished the install. Kept the same cooler and hoses. Filled it up with two quarts of fluid, changed the engine oil and filter and dropped her in the lake. Tried to start her and no luck. No spark. Puzzled for a few and decided to check the ballast resister seeing that I had to remove her during the rebuild. Puller the cover and one of the connections came off. Connected it and started her up. I let the motor warm up a bit and when I pulled the throttle back she went back as well.

I would like to thank all of you folks that took the time to give me advice and help. Thanks Lively for the pictures. One strange thing I noticed during the rebuild. My forward and reverse adapter looked as if it was damaged. Like something blew a hole through it. After some research I found the it was actually a port. So I put her back in. I found one online without the port and ordered it before i realized it. Hopefully I can send it back. No idea why some have it and some don't. If any one needs one without a port, let me know.

Tom
well that's good to hear !! i couldn't really tell by the pics but im glad you got it fixed and back up and running

Nickgb55
05-24-2021, 05:44 AM
Hey Tom...I am having this reverse issue after a pretty strong prop strike on a log. As soon as the tranny goes to shift into reverse the engine stutters or dies.

I have not tore things apart yet but to replace the reverse rings as you did, did you need to remove the transmission completely or could you do this job with it in the boat?

I could end up getting into things and finding bigger issues but hoping it is just this or something even less. Just trying to do some sue diligence.

Creekrat
05-24-2021, 02:03 PM
My parents' old boat had reverse go out on their mastercraft years ago. I ended up rebuilding it. We found that the springs on the pressure plate for the reverse gear basket had all sheared off and the friction itself was in 3 pieces.