PDA

View Full Version : Deck and captain's chair

skiman_61
08-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Say guys,

I replaced the carpet in my 87 Saltare' a couple of years ago. I didn't notice that there was a spot on the deck just under the buddy seat of the captain's chair until I was on top of it with the carpet. What with the plushness of the new carpet and the soft spot the seat pulled out on the last run of the season. Too many wet butts in the seat I guess.

I rotated the seat bases, (new screw holes) and used a larger screw to put the seat back down. Driver's side appears to be fine. Otherwise the deck is in good condition. Any suggestions for a more permanent fix w/o tearing up the whole floor? Kicking myself for not looking at the deck more closely.

Thanks,

Jack

haugy
08-16-2011, 09:24 AM
See if you are able to reach under from the engine hatch to where the seat mounts. If you can reach the screws with your hand, get a piece of 3/4" or 1" plywood and press it up on the bottom. Make sure it's bigger than the damaged soft spot. Then have someone screw in the mounts to the seat. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put 2 or 4 small screws in at other spots to hold the plywood up, and in place. Your trying to create a sandwich like patch to keep the seat from pulling out, but remember, you don't want it to fall through either.

Me I'd to the plywood trick, and then bolt some 2x4's to the bottom like legs on a table, going to the bottom of the boat. Very ghetto, but it will all be underneath so no one will see it.

Oh yes, I overdo everything. :)

skiman_61
08-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey Haugy!

I think that there is a stringer in the way of my path to under the seat, but I'll look again. Thanks!!

Jack

Salty87
08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
this is under one of the support posts for the love seat?

i've repaired the floor under a ripped out post from a sunsport, no love seat. it was pretty easy since the single support pole is so close to the sidewall. it was on top of a stringer too which actually helped secure the patch. once done, you couldn't tell unless you looked really closely.

you can slice the carpet along the sidewall, actually it's best to slice it behind the sidewall so you can tuck it back behind there when done. it's def easier said than done but it can be done. then, i'd slice the carpet under the loveseat perpendicular to the wall. you can devise some supports to hold the carpet back while you operate on the cancer. once you're done, the slice under the seat won't be very obvious and the slice along the wall should be hidden.

for the floor patch, i'd cut out a nice rectangle so both bases have fresh wood for the screws.

on second thought, new carpet might be tough to work loose. i was working with old carpet that was easy to tear free from the floor.

skiman_61
08-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks Salty,

Yes it is the love seat. Spongy floor underneath the passenger side.

On the first photo in your rebuild series there appear to be some two by fours perpendicular to the stringers. Stock, yes? Are those directly under the seat posts?

Salty87
08-18-2011, 10:42 AM
it's hard to tell where things used to go once the topcap is off. you lose reference points. i don't think the stock bulkheads were under the supports but i'm not certain. even if they were, the factory design of notching the stringers was a common location for rot. with soft floor above it's dicey as to what you'll find below. check out the bulkhead on the port side in that picture. my boat had soft spots all over though so it's a worst-case example.

if the bulkhead isn't directly under the supports, you can easily add one. in fact, would probably make a better repair if there was more 'framing' under the floor there.

good luck

skiman_61
08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
This is the only spot on an otherwise rock solid deck. I would not have discovered it but for the replacement of the carpet. The old stuff was original and as flat as paper. New is plush. the screws went it OK, then pulled out at the end of the season. I put some mongo SS screws in. Drivers side is solid. I figure after the thing is winterized this year I'll do a rectangular box cut and build a little fortress for the posts to sit on. Deal with the carpet some way. Hope that I don't find anything unpleasant down there.....rot or gremlins or some such. Love the old Salt. Gets lots of looks and compliments.