PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure it out ...

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a 2006 24ssv with the 340 cat.

The boat will crank all day long but it won't turn over. It sounds like a fuel issue because it will occasionally sputter once the key is released like its gasping for fuel. It seems like gas is getting through the line, through the filter and to the pump. I disconnected the pump (where it pushes fuel to the motor) and when the key turns on it spits out gas so i think i have eliminated the fuel pump. I pulled the air filter off and sprayed in there while trying to crank and still got nothing.

Last weekend we went out and it did this and it eventually turned over. Once we had it running i could turn the boat off/on all day long without problem. Took it out Tuesday, same thing ... took a while to start and once it did it was fine to turn on and off. This past weekend we took it out and it never fired up, just cranked all day long. Also when the boat was running the last two times, it was not running rough or misfiring.

Im not real knowledgable as it is and am pretty much stuck now. My only thoughts are ... 1. could a sensor be causing it not to start 2. could a bad ground somewhere be the issue? 3. is there any type of fuse or possible bad connection in the lanyard?

Not sure if it could have anything to do with it but all of these symptoms started after the local dealership did an oil change.

Appreciate any help yall have to offer.

chrisk
08-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Maybe a vapor lock? I don't hardly know anything about them but I'm pretty sure those are the symptoms?...

Skylar18
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey KG. My fuel filter got gummed up and replacing that solved my problem. My boat was doing the exact same thing as yours.

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Was gas getting through the filter at all? I can empty the line, try to crank, then repull the lines and get fuel out of both sides.

A filter is cheap so I plan on going to pick one up today at lunch and I'll give that a shot. I also have all my batteries on chargers and going to rewire everything tonight.

pwildbil
08-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Sounds like a fuel issue to me...My car did the same thing a few years ago.....ended up the pump was bad....it would still pump fuel but not enough pressure for the fuel injection....not enough to start but would run all day til i shut it off then would not restart...hope this helps

wotan2525
08-16-2011, 01:44 PM
See if you can prime it with some starting fluid into the throttle body.... This might tell you if it's a fuel issue or something else (like spark.)

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 02:12 PM
See if you can prime it with some starting fluid into the throttle body.... This might tell you if it's a fuel issue or something else (like spark.)

I did this and couldn't get it to fire, which i thought was odd. I didn't have time to pull the plugs last night but it seems hard to believe all 8 would go bad at the same time. Like I mentioned, it hasn't been running rough. Thoughts?

lively
08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Is this a EFI motor ? or does it have a lift pump ?

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 03:04 PM
EFI .. it is the 340 cat

dusty2221
08-16-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't think yours has the Cat motor, but just the 340 5.7 HO MPF. The 340 ETX/CAT was new in 08. Not that correcting that makes a difference....

wotan2525
08-16-2011, 04:58 PM
I did this and couldn't get it to fire, which i thought was odd. I didn't have time to pull the plugs last night but it seems hard to believe all 8 would go bad at the same time. Like I mentioned, it hasn't been running rough. Thoughts?

If it won't start with priming fluid, then you are not getting spark. The plugs are probably fine.... you're having an issue somewhere else. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with EFI engines to tell you where to start. Can you plug an OBDII scan tool in to that engine to try and see if there are any codes?

KG's Supra24
08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
From my understanding you can plug in a scan tool but its not your standard OBDII, it is a setup that only the dealer has.

lively
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
well the only things to make the motor start are fuel/ combustion / spark / exhaust ... Check your fuel pressure at the injector rail should have a shrader valve ( like a bike tube stem ) borrow a fuel psi gauge from auto zone / orileys and you need to maintain 28 -32 psi at the rail ,

if you know your fuel is right then , crank sensor ( on block either by harmonic balance r "Large lower pulley" , or by the drive " trans" bell housing ) you need to have a noid light to really check for spark you can get them at harbor freight or northern tool for cheap like 5$ and just hook it up to the plug and the the plug lead ... then crank motor over and watch for spark .. if no spark then you either have .... bad ground , low/or dead battery , burnt out coil or coil packs , or rotor and cap are not making connection ..

post a pic with all the covers off of your motor and ill tell you where to diag at .. hope this helped

rludtke
08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I am ot a EFI expert, but I know that a minimum fuel pressure in the fuel injection system is required to pass fuel to the injectors (to generate a clean cut-off upon shut down). The injector rails are where this pressure is measured (as Lively describes above). I suspect that your electrical fuel pump is not meeting the minimum pressure requirements of the fuel injection system, probably on an intermittant basis. I would heck to be sure the pump is turning on all of the time, and also listen for noise. Someties the electric pumps begin to emit a high pitch hum before they fail.

Of course there could be a long list of other things driving your problem, I am just offering a theory, and a few more things to check.
Good luck

KG's Supra24
08-17-2011, 09:29 AM
I appreciate the help guys. It fired over last night after rewiring everything at the batteries.

However, I noticed the throttle had been left down from the night before. I'm not sure how it works but I don't know if it is possible it only started because the throttle had been left down, possibly pushing fuel the whole time. I pulled it back and letting it sit today. Guess I'll find out tonight if it was a fluke or actually was a ground issue.

KG's Supra24
08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
lively, thanks for breaking it down for me as I know very little (trying to learn). I may pick up a noid light for future instances. I also didn't know autozone had fuel pressure gauges to borrow.

lively
08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
great to hear ...

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Well it is just teasing me now

Yesterday after hooking up the batteries it started. Came home today and it wouldn't start, just crank again. I tried a couple times and ended up breaking the ignition switch. I picked up a new ignition switch and installed. Turned it over and boom it started. Shut it down and try again and I'm right back to it only cranking.

Its driving me nuts. I am going to find a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow so I can eliminate that. Past that, I don't really have a plan other than take it to the dealer and have them plug it into diagnostic machine. Hoping the fuel pressure is low or else I'm chasing a short?

lively
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
KG it sounds almost as your crank sensor is not telling the ECU (engine control unit ) to fire the plugs ... get a manual for you motor and find out where the crank sensor is at , Because you say it fires sometimes and runs great correct ?

If thats the fact , the sensor that tells the distributor and injectors to fire is the (crank sensor) this sensor has to be at absolute position or the motor will not run . .... if this fails it will in-turn make the motor spudder , and try to fire , or it will fire and run for a little bit and then wont restart .... TAKE PICTURES and host them on here .. and get a manual ... Those manuals will tell you anything and everything you want to know about your motor .... good luck -lively-

you can borrow anything from autozone that u need

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Just got off the phone with indmar. He said the first thing he would do it disconnect the boat from the motor. Essentially pull the 16 pin connection apart and jump the motor with the same wires im using at the ignition. That would tell me if it is indeed a motor problem or a wiring problem inside the boat.

He also said a tune up is one of the first things he would do since it is a 2006 and I can't confirm it has ever had one. However, it hasnt been running rough, so I'm not sure on this one.

Lively, I don't know anything about the crank sensor or how id test it. I mentioned it to the indmar guy and he said I could easily start by taking it to a dealer and letting them scan it. Said the only problem was a sensor doesn't always throw a code.

lively
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
you need to get a manual , un less you want to spend 150 -200 hr diag .... best of luck to you

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I've pulled the manual and it doesn't get into many details.

http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual_2003_Presentweb.pdf

Came across the fact that the PCV (positive crankcase valve) should be changed every 300 hours and I am at 350. Like I said, I am not mechanically inclined by any means and not sure whether or not that would have anything to do with it.

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Ran down to the dealership and they scanned the motor and it threw 2 codes:

spn 65615 fm 7
etc activation mechanical system not responding

spn 65618 fm 7
etc return mechanical system not responding

Once I finally get Indmar back on the phone I'll update.

KG's Supra24
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Ran down to the dealership and they scanned the motor and it threw 2 codes:

spn 65615 fm 7
etc activation mechanical system not responding

spn 65618 fm 7
etc return mechanical system not responding

Once I finally get Indmar back on the phone I'll update.

lively
08-18-2011, 01:26 PM
i believe ETC is (Electronic Timing Control) that's either failed communication to distributor or absolute value of crank sensor is not reading ... but that makes since why its doing what its doing .... check your harnesses and unplug and plug back in ... you have a bad connection somewhere and did the dealer say where the ETC diag line goes ( issues that correspond with that code ) let me know

wolff
08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
When my 07 21v 325 motor was new I kept having the problem of it dying on the river and not starting get it home or towed back thani it would start. The dealer said it was vapor lock and put a second fuel pump on. Still had the same problem. Than it start throwing a bunch of codes.

There is a ground or ground bar somewhere in the front of the motor. The dealer said the main ground was lose.

My was under warrenty so i keep on the dealer.

KG's Supra24
08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
dealer said ETC was electronic throttle control

He called yesterday and said he took a gas sample and it def had water in it. They wanted 3 hours to drain to so I went and grabbed the boat. Pumped until my pump broke last night (of course i had a full tank), put everything back together and it started. THE FIRST TIME. Then it was back to the same ole crank all day and never start. Lively, all they kept mentioning was throttle issues. I wasn't really sure what to ask when i was there, though. I figured if we had the codes we were on the home stretch.

The dealer did try to jump the motor when disconnected from the boat. It did the same thing so it is def motor related, not boat wiring.

I really feel like it has to be something with a sensor. I am going to talk to the dealer as soon as they open to see if it ever started for them yesterday. He said he cleared one of the codes and I'm thinking that might be essentially what i was doing everytime i would rewire something. I cleared the code, boat started, code threw, wont start again. I am going to have them test this theory before i siphon the rest of the gas out. I will also mention the ground bar, wolff.

wolff
08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Right before i had the starting issues, I also had the throttle position sensor replaced in mine. but that was because the perfect pass would not hold a constant speed.

lively
08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
glad to hear you found the right track .. hope for the best outcome for ya

oward1202
08-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Sounds like if you have water in your fuel then you are not going to correct the issue until you drain the rest of that fuel and make sure all of the water is out of your tank. Good luck.

KG's Supra24
08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
...... distributor