PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Games ballast bags

05-15-2005, 03:04 AM
Looking to replace my 21v bags with the larger GG bags. Is there anywhere online I can buy them, or do I have to go through my Supra dealer? Thanks

nani
05-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Looking to replace my 21v bags with the larger GG bags. Is there anywhere online I can buy them, or do I have to go through my dealer? Thanks

msutoad
05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I am interested in the same thing.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-17-2005, 02:13 AM
If either of you guys end up getting the GG bags, I might be interested in purchasing your old bags if the price is right. Email me at [email protected] if you end up getting the bags.

Cheers,
DKJ

Diggs
05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
For the 21V you will want to consider GG bag up front in locker and then take your original front locker bag and put it in the back and then get one more of those front locker bags for the other rear compartment. It helps move the weight forward and has been the recommendation for the 21V. Trust me it is good! Save you some money too.

nani
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the advice! Did you buy those bags retail or did you go thru your supra dealer? They just seem so expensive buying through the dealer.

JGates
05-19-2005, 06:57 AM
nani,

The bags are the same price whether you buy them from a dealer or the manufacturer with maybe a difference of just a couple of bucks. I recently looked into the very same thing. You will basically double your weight (rear sacks 250-300 up to 500-600 ea., front bag 500-600 up to 1000-1200). The folks at my dealership and the manufacturer cautioned against too much ballast citing it may put too much stress on parts of the boat resulting in stress/gell coat cracks. Seems to me they wouldn't recommend them if that were the case. I have an 03' SSV which from what I understand is the same hull-wise as the GG edition less some of the extras.

If you go this way you'll probably find that your dealer or the manufacturer is going to recommend the leak-proof fitings as well. But you are right in that they are a bit pricy.

Good luck,

Joe

msutoad
05-19-2005, 07:11 AM
What are the costs of the GG bags with the leak proof fittings from your dealer?

Just curious before I call mine to see if they have inflated the price;) .

Thanks

Diggs
05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
got mine through the dealer...not sure what the costs are... they are worth it... yes the dealers will tell you about the extra stress etc cause they need to cover their butts just in case..... There are a ton of people running that much weight and even much more...
Not sure on costs, but well worth it.... my guess is you might be looking at $350-$450 (1 standard front locker bag for the rear and 1 GG bag in the main locker) total?????

JGates
05-20-2005, 07:41 AM
I was quoted by my dealer and the manufacturer of $250 ea for the rear sacks (19x19x42) and $360 for center sack (19x19x88). Don't recall what the fittings cost but I believe they were in the neighborhood of $12 ea (x6= $72). Total = Ouch! They did mention the Pro X sack which is (16x16x42) and $199 a pair but they are inferior in quality. No center bag available through them. The Pro X's are also available through Overton's which as I recall had an exensive selection .

Vapor-rub
05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I've been trying to decide how best to upgrade my sacs for a while now and I have finally decided.

First off, the Pro-X sacs are not inferior. Up until recently I had a pair of Pro-X 400 lb twin sacs. They are the same material as my stock sacs are made of. Both are made by the same company, Fly High. I could be wrong here, but are the GG sacs not made of the same material as the sacs that come stock (in 2004-2005 models)?

Jgates, the prices you were quoted for the GG sacs are right, but I can't believe that the fittings wouldn't come with them? If they don't, shouldn't the fittings you currently have in your SSV work? I have a 2004 SSV and the sacs that came with my boat are the super thick material with the screw in leak proof fittings.

Also, the dimensions for the front GG sac are 19x19x88. I measured my compartment (I have the play pen bow) and the compartment is 20" wide x 15-16" deep x 90" + long. However, the closer you get to the bow the more the compartment narrows. Therefore, there is no possible way that this sac will be able to fully expand in this compartment. This sac will hold 1143 lbs if filled to the seams (19x19x88x.036 = 1143 lbs). Since the compartment will not let it expand to it's seams I would guess that it will really hold somewhere around 875 lbs (19x16x80x.036 = 875 lbs). This is guessing at what the volume capcity actually is near the bow since it narrows quite a bit in width and depth.

With all of this in mind, I decided to go another route. I had Boarder's Paradise make me 3 custom sacs. The front locker sac is 19x15x75. It holds 769 lbs plus. The sac can fully expand to it's seams, plus a little more on the sides since the compartment is 20" wide. It also expands a little past the seams in height. I'm guessing that it holds between 800-850 lbs.

The two rear sacs I had made are just like the GG sacs, 19x19x42. That's 545 lbs, but probably closer to between 700-800 lbs each depending on how far they expand in the compartment. All three sacs cost me $286 delivered. They took just under two weeks to arrive from the time I ordered them.

Admittedly, they are not near the thickness of the GG sacs from Fly High. They also do not have the screw in fittings, they have standard aftermarket fat sac fittings. As far as the debate over the thickness of the sac, keep in mind that these sacs will be inside a compartment. They will not have people walking all over them and stuff being piled on top of them. Therefore, I am quite sure that they will be okay. I made sure that there was no sharp anything in these compartment. In the rear compartment I covered the screws to the engine compartment panels with velcro and removable carpet just to be safe.

As far as the fittings, yes, I wish my custom sacs had the leak proof fittings. Although, I have managed to find a way to make them 100% leak proof. Rather than use a waterbed adapter, I found some 1" barbed fittings at my local hardware store that go "inside" the valve of the sac as opposed to the screwing over the outside. I then have a clamp around this fitting holding it secure. The end of the fitting screws over the original quick connect fitting that came with my original sacs. This fitting then quick connects to the hose as usual.

Bottom line is....If I had the extra $700 to spend on Fly High's GG sacs I would. However, since I don't, this route has worked out perfect for over $400 less! The wake is awesome too. Just a alternate idea for those not wanting to fork out $700 for sacs that can't be 100% filled up anyway (the front sac).