PDA

View Full Version : Looking for trailer

inair
08-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Just bought a 1991 Sunsport and am SO pshyced!! Except. The boat did not come with a trailer so I can't even get it to the state where I live. Anyone having a line on a trailer would be huge. I have looked and looked. They seem to be rare. Any help would be awsome.

Thanks

Ken

P.S. I live in the South

whelchel86
08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
I was liking the idea of getting this one for my '91 Sunsport. It would definitely look better than what I have now but it's just not in my price range. Thought I would pass it on.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/2525045771.html

haugy
08-23-2011, 12:29 PM
That Boatmate is pimp. But ouch.

I've got a Single axle trailer that should fit your Sunsport, it fit a Comp/Mariah. But I'm not totally sure. I've seen most Sunsports come on tandems, but a few for sale on singles. With the right tires, a single would do.

I haven't seen it in a while as it's in the back of my plant, let me check the condition then i'll give you a price. It won't like that boatmate, as it's an original Supra trailer, that hasn't had any work done to it.

inair
08-24-2011, 03:30 PM
The Boatmate looks wonderful but the price is more than half what I paid for the boat! New trailers are nice but... All I really need is a way to get the boat from CLT to the ATL area. The right single axle with the right tires will do that.

Haugy, Nashville isn't to far for me. Let me know about it OK?

Thanks

Ken

Salty87
08-24-2011, 04:44 PM
i found a used trailer once for a friend with a sunsport. guy bought new boat and wanted to switch to galvanized trailer. i ran across it on craigslist. it wasn't cheap but it wasn't $5k. i've also bought a trailer, my saltare didn't come with one. it was around $3k but that was almost 10 years ago.

i suggest craigslist, checking with a few dealers to see if they know anyone wanting to sell trailer or checking with a few marinas. people store their trailers there and forget about them. someone might want the money for a trailer they never use.

finding a used trailer isn't easy.

jsandy
08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
if he does'nt take your trailer Haugy let me know and I will take it. I had to replace my trailer and am curently trying to make a bassboat trailer work and to say the least it is causeing more headaches than its worth

whelchel86
08-27-2011, 01:28 AM
inair, did you buy your boat from Hall Marine @ Lake Wylie? I just saw this listing and figured this was probably yours.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/2544702640.html

inair
09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes! Thats the one. Ive been looking for a Supra Sunsport or Saltare for several years that fit my budget and would still give me some years of fun before having to replace things. I love the boat but didn't realize how hard it would be to find the right trailer. Had a chance to look at yours Haugy?

haugy
09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Actually asked about it. I store it at my fathers recycling plant. He's checking on it today. He's not sure, but he thinks it may have been taken out by a scrap truck. I'll let you know soon. I haven't forgotten about ya.

whelchel86
09-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes! Thats the one. Ive been looking for a Supra Sunsport or Saltare for several years that fit my budget and would still give me some years of fun before having to replace things. I love the boat but didn't realize how hard it would be to find the right trailer. Had a chance to look at yours Haugy?

That's funny. I bought my 91 Sunsport there last year. Actually, I bought it from a private seller that lived on the lake just around the corner from there but all of our transactions and fitting the boat to the trailer happened at Hall Marine. Mine also did not come with a trailer. So Jeff Hall happened to have a tandem Supra trailer sitting around in the marina yard and I lucked out and was able to get it pretty darn cheap. Good luck with your trailer hunt.

inair
09-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm not that familiar with the area. I saw it in Craigslist and flew up there the next morning. I had seen so many boats in such rough condition for so much money that I was prepared for a similar experience. But when I saw it, I was immediately impressed and spent the amount I was prepared to pay for boat and trailer, for just the boat :) I'm not sorry! I love the boat. Just trying to figure out the next step to get her home. I bought the boat from Lake Wylie Marina. Just across the bridge from there is a Supra dealer. He was my first stop on my way back to the airport. I guess any Supra dealer is able to order a new Boatmate trailer but they are pricey! I have actually been looking into having a new aluminum trailer made. They are much cheaper. Anyone have any experience with that? Also, there is a new Boatmate trailer for sale in my area that is from a 22ssv vdrive. How hard do you supose it would be to modify it?

haugy
09-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Sorry man. It looks like it was stolen. It's been in the back of a giant multi-building plant facility for years, and no one ever checked on it. Went back there, and it's gone. No telling when. That sucks too as it was in perfect condition with all the Supra Logos still on it.

inair
09-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for looking Haugy.

I found one in my area that may fit. I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. It has been sitting for a while and will need some TLC I'm told but the price is right so my fingers are crossed!

I'll let you know how it goes