PDA

View Full Version : 1989 supra

coates
08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I have a 1989 supra with a ford 351. It starts fine and runs at very slow speed, but as soon as i throttle down and reach 20 to 30 mph it stalls out completely. Any ideas on this ?

cadunkle
08-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Check your fuel filter(s). Sounds like you're running the bowls out of fuel. If filters are good, check if the tank has a screen that's plugged on the fuel pickup. If not, probably a bad fuel pump.

coates
08-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Is the fuel pump hard to change ?

cadunkle
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Real easy. On a 351 it's on the port side with two 9/16" headed bolts attaching it to the timing cover. You'll have a pickup and return line and a vent to the carb/air filter. Probably take you about 15-20 minutes and only need a couple wrenches. Change your filter first if you haven't already, it's cheaper and easier and part of regular maintenance every season or two.

coates
08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
The boat has also been taking on water while sitting idle, could this have anything to do with the problem? It is taking on alot of water and the auto bilge is not working. I am wondering if something is coroded or just filled with moisture and is causing the boat to stall.

cadunkle
08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
No, if it was related to water in hte bilge/wet/whatever it would be a constant problem, not just at high RPM. You definitely have a fuel flow problem.

As for taking on water, can you see where it's coming from? Most likely suspects are drive shaft packing gland and rudder packing gland. Watch them, particularly the driveshaft while in gear at idle and see if there is water coming in. Adjust the packing tighter if need be. Loosen the small nut and turn the big nut tighter, then tighten the small nut. On the rudder I just cranked mine fairly tight. Not too critical on adjustment there, just tight enough to not leak. For the driveshaft hand snug on the big nut is a good starting point. Then adjust it so you have a few drips per minute out of the packing while idle in gear. If it won't seal you need to replace the packing flax inside the nut or replace it with a newer style dripless seal. Also feel your rudder from underneath the boat and if you can move it around like there's slop in it you might have found your leak.

Also check your raw water lines from the through hull to the pump, thermostat housing, manifolds, etc. If you see water you found your problem. If none of that, it's could be a leak on the exhaust flanges at the transom. They would need to be pulled off and resealed. That could be a real pain to get access inside under the tank and floor if necessary, but check the easier spots first... And fix/replace your bilge pump and/or float switch to get that working. Nothing worse than sinking because you didn't fix a slow leak and didn't have a working bilge.

Also, what model is your boat? And welcome to the forum!

coates
08-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks again for your advice. I have a 1989 supra tsm6. I bought it last year in ohio and towed it back to ontario. I have had good luck with it so far untill now. I will definatley change the fuel filter and go from there. As for the leak, I am changing the bilge pump this weekend. I dont get any water entering the boat while running, it enters while sittting. I thing the packing around the prop shaft may be the problem. Thanks again for your info ! Coates

coates
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Where is the fuel screen on the pick up located ?

lively
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
inside the tank , remove rear seat to access

rludtke
08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Unless your carb has been overhauled recently, I think it is due. You should consider the installation of an overhaul kit. Look for some of my recent posts on carb overhaul to find more info and links to technical resources.

coates
08-24-2011, 06:19 PM
where is the fuel filter located on a 1989 supra ? I want to pick one up on the way to our cottage but the marina wants to know what style it is. Is there any way to know what fuel filter it is without a part number ?

michael hunter
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Its a canister style under and in front of the fuel pump. Remove the bolt in the center of the top cap and the bowl will come off. Sometimes it easier to remove the entire assembly. The filter can be found at the auto parts store.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/waterpump003.jpg