PDA

View Full Version : Bent Rudder

Qsupra22
08-26-2011, 06:17 AM
I just purchase a 97 Supra Sunsport, it looks like it has a bent RUDDER. It off by 1/4" in, is there a shop that can straighten it up or do I have to go purchase a new / used one? And if so were would I find one?

Thanks for your time,

michael hunter
08-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Are you talking about the rudder offset? It not mounted in line with the prop shaft. If its bent you will have to replace it also make sure you check out the rest of the drive train for damage and alignment.

bens250ex
08-26-2011, 02:51 PM
couldnt you straighten it a little? it deff will not be as strong as it is suppose to be but it could get you by for a while till you have the funds to buy a new one. And they do not line up with the shaft. post some pics if you can

sybrmike
08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Pics would help, but like Michael said - the rudder is mounted so that it is offset from the drive shaft so that the shaft can be removed without pulling the rudder. However, it should be straight up and down - just offset to one side of the shaft.

If it's bent, a good prop shop can straighten it. I've had one straightened before with success and even had one brazed back together after shearing the rudder off the shaft on a stump (that one lasted until the next strike that sheared it at the braze but lost the rudder portion to the lake gods).

wotan2525
08-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Off by 1/4" at the bottom?! Who cares! That's NOTHING!

Blackntan90
08-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Yeah, like wotan says- 1/4" is not bad, I think mine has that much side to side play in it!

Supra-in-steamboat
08-28-2011, 10:07 AM
1/4" may not look bad, but can you feel it? if you can, have it fixed. Your ride should track in a straight line no matter the speed.