PDA

View Full Version : Wood for engine mounts

FULL-THROTTLE
08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Hello,

I am gathering all the pieces for my floor & stringers replacement, The only question I have is what kind of wood should I use for the engine mounts? They look like 4x4's???

Thanks,

Fran

sybrmike
08-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I think in most instances a 4x4 isn't quite big enough. Some folks cut down 4x6 or stack 2x material. I stacked 1" ply with glass between each layer. I don't think it's as critical as most think - I discovered my original mounts were actually hollow underneath (only the stringer and a piece of 3/4" ply on top) and the bolts were still tight & no engine movement after 20+ years of neglect. Still, I'd definitely build it up solid, coat liberally with CPES, and wrap with heavy glass.

Salty87
08-26-2011, 10:48 AM
i used 4x4's, pressure treated and very dry. sealed them very well before glassing.

there isn't much clearance below the engine but that's the way it came.

sybrmike
08-26-2011, 12:18 PM
yeah, watch the engine height. When aligning my coupling, I couldn't get the rear of the engine to drop the last little bit I needed. Turns out the hose clamp I used to replace the original crimp ring on the oil pan drain hose was too thick and the engine was sitting on the hose clamp screw. Fortunately, no hull damage from the engine weight crushing the clamp, but had to raise the engine to go back with a crimp ring. I think I've got maybe 1/8" clearance down there now.

FULL-THROTTLE
08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Thank you all for the help, as I have been reading forums on the web I am going with multi layer marine plywood, I will definately return it to the same height and length, cover with cpes then epoxy each layer.

Happy motoring

jet
08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
yeah sybr. i am fixing to lay my engine mounts out this weekend, and am a little worried about messing this up. Do i just try and get as close to the old heighth as I can get?? Any tips? Im scared!! lol

sybrmike
08-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Hopefully you took lots of measurements of "before". Try to get the height and spread as close to original as possible. You don't want to run out of adjustment room on the mounts when realigning the coupling. Same thing on the width between the mounts. Make sure the mounts are parallel or the trunions will bind when you try to move side to side. Don't be scared - it's normal to be nervous the first time you put it in...

jet
08-26-2011, 04:23 PM
.Make sure the mounts are parallel or the tru it's normal to be nervous the first time you put it in...

were talking about my boat right? lol

Okie Boarder
08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
I used a stack up of 2x material and plywood. Each piece was individually coated with CPES, then laminated / glued to previous piece with thickened epoxy until the right stack up was made. They were attached to the main stringer after it was already in place and glassed.