PDA

View Full Version : 454 engine build

wspeedin
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
So I have removed the 454 out of my Saltare so I can have a stringer/floor replacement completed over the winter. While the professionals are doing the hard work I will be completeing the 454's engine rebuild. I ahve experience doing this in the past on alot of four cylinders and a bunch of Ford 5.0L. Now this 454 has 1300 hours on it so I was wondering what you guys thought I should do to the motor. Im thinking new valve guides new main bearings and rod bearings and maybe even new piston rings. Any thoughts?

Yama1
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Before you tear into, I would recommend checking some basic things and those will help steer you in the right direction. A compression check will tell you how worn the piston and rings are from the original specification. You may also want to do a leak down to verify your cylinder heads. One of the main things to be concerned about is that all 8 cylinders are pretty consistent, meaning you don't want 1 cylinder out of whack from the others. 1300 hours if well maintained is only about half it's life, but it all depends on the performance you want. The motor is pretty straight forward, just big