PDA

View Full Version : Saltare Steering Issue

SaltySSupra
08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Need some advice, I was out driving the boat last weekend and the steering went completely out. The boat veered to the right with no assistance from me. When I first looked at the steering issue, I found the lock nut at the cable clamp to be loose. Obviously I tightened the nut and assumed that was the issue. But it wasn't. I have followed the steering cable from the steering wheel back to the rudder and everything seems to be fine. I can see the rudder turning with the turning of the steering wheel. If the cable was broke then i would think the rudder wouldn't turn. Also, I checked the clamp on the rudder and it seems to tight. I did go back and hit all grease fittings with new grease. Took the boat out last night and had not problems???? I don't know what to look at next. I am somewhat uncertain about the issue happening again.

Any Suggestions would be great!!

wotan2525
08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Scary..... and I'm stumped! I don't think the helm could slip that far since it's all gear driven, but that seems to be the only part that you can't really inspect.

sybrmike
08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
A broken cable might still push, but wouldn't pull so only one direction might feel screwy. Otherwise, I'm at a loss since it works now. Take a closer look at the clamp block ball joint. I lost the steering during the test drive of my Saltare - first only one direction, then both, then it sorta came back at low speed only. Turned out the clamp block was severely worn but enough junk was in there to hold it in place at low speed. Bad for him - he really dropped the price further on the spot, good for me - a cheap easy fix. Good luck & let us know...