PDA

View Full Version : Surf ballast idea

lowdrag
08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Just thought I'd share my plans and see if anyone has tried anything similar. I've got an '06 21v and just upgraded the ballast, 1180 in front and 750's in the back. Since I've still got the original bags I'd like to use the old center sac to add more weight to the surf side. The thing is I hate have bags filled up and laying out on seats, etc. I've already order the plumbing fittings from wakemakers and will probably see how it works out next week. I'm going to take the center sac and plumb it into the rear port side bag. I plan on running it under the seating on the port side. For now the cooler is in the way but until I make the final decision, I think I can run the sac under it and just let it fill around it. If I like how it works I may just cut the cooler out. It's worthless and I think we've only used it once the entire time we've had the boat. I've been thinking about doing that even before now just because it would allow that area to be used as more functional storage space.

For the actually plumping I'm going to use flo rite fittings like factory. I'm going to put a "T" into the drain fitting from the rear bag the line off of the T will run up to the new ballast under the seats. I'll have all of this plumbed in with the flo rite connectors so it will be plug and play and that line can be plugged off and the entire addition removed easily. Close to where the T is I'll put in a shut off. My thought is this: I can fill the rear bag and if I want to fill the one under the seats, all I have to do is open the valve. The water should then flow through the drain line and be pushed into the second bag. I would use the bottom inlet on that bag. When it's time to empty, the empty pump should pull the water back out from both bags. Next year I may decide to upgrade the factory system with the 3 tsunami pump setup to speed things up a little.

Anyone out there ever remove the factory cooler from under the seat? If so, how did it go and would you do it again?

Skiline00
08-27-2011, 10:18 PM
My buddy has a similar set up in his malibu. It works pretty good for the most part, filiing the system always seems to work but every now and then he'll have some problems with the pumps priming to drain. Maybe you'll have better luck though, keep the pumps low if you can, a little gravity migh save you some frustration. Taking the cooler out isn't tough, take the seat cushion out and then remove the stainless screws holding the wraparound seat base in. It should slide right out.

silvtongdvl
09-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Lowdrag,
Filling the extra sac that way might be slow and there might end up being being too much head pressure.
When that happens, it will flow out the drain nozzle past the drain pump.
Plus if you only want to fill the rear sacs to wakeboard,the side surf sac will be filling from the beginning.

Did you try it?

lowdrag
09-09-2011, 05:19 AM
I did remove the cooler and got everything installed but haven't been out to test it yet. I thought about both issues that you mentioned. I installed a shutoff on the line running to the forward sac. I also used the florite fittings and bought a plug. That way I can still fill just the rear sac and I can remove the front bag and line any time I don't want it there. I also considered building too much pressure and forcing water out the overflow. I don't think that will be an issue unless there is an obstruction in the line feeding the front bag. The 750 bag in back doesn't push water through until it's full and I believe the water level in that even gets is higher than the through hull for the drain. Given the way it's hooked up, the water levels in the bags should try to equalize without ever building any more pressure than what's in the rear bag. If the practical application doesn't work like the theory, I can always add another manual shutoff between the bags and the drain pump but then I'd have to keep a close eye on it so I don't break something when filling. I don't see any reason it won't work but even if it doesn't I'm happy with the decision to remove the cooler. The thing was worthless anyway and now the storage space under those seats is much more useable.

spydermonkey
03-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Just wondering if this worked I'm going to be putting a 370 tube sac where the cooler is and use a tsunami pump but may integrate it into existing system g3 on a 2006 21v thx