PDA

View Full Version : How do you use oil drain hose?

fire fighter
05-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I found the oil drain hose that is attached to the bottom of the oil pan. I routed it out through the hull plug. When I removed the brass fitting on the hose, no oil came out.

What am i doing wrong? I tried to feel a petcock or something up near the drain pan, but could not find anything like that.

Help!

bpskis
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Was the oil warm? I make sure to run the engine about 5 minutes, and after that the oil comes out no problem. Everything you did sounds right to me.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-17-2005, 01:44 PM
The engine will likely need to be warm for the oil to come out at any apreciable rate. I tried to drain mine once when it was cold and it took a couple hours. Also, you might remove/loosen the oil filler cap to let air down into the crankcase. That might speed the flow a little. If thats not the problem, then i'm stumped. I gave up on the hose and started using a Topsider vacuum pump to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube.

Cheers,
DKJ

fire fighter
05-17-2005, 02:13 PM
the oil was warmer than ambient temp, but probably not above 80 degrees. i ended up buying a vacuum device, but it left about 1 1/2 quarts in the pan. I think I'll take someone's recommendation to insert the suction tube up the drain hose, rather than down the dip stick, and use the suction to get things moving. I thought i had to open a valve, since not a drop came out.

thansk.

John

05-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Haven't had much success myself with the drain hose program even after getting the operating temp up to normal for 10 minutes or so. Very slow to drain to the point that the oil gets cold before all is drained out. If your time is valuable to you like mine is to me then some sort of pump may be worth the expense. My concern however is sediment in the bottom of the pan. It ceratinly doesn't appear to be draining via the hose method, and I wonder if it would come out via a pump.

jg

JGates
05-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Haven't had much success myself with the drain hose program even after getting the operating temp up to normal for 10 minutes or so. Very slow to drain to the point that the oil gets cold before all is drained out. If your time is valuable to you like mine is to me then some sort of pump may be worth the expense. My concern however is sediment in the bottom of the pan. It ceratinly doesn't appear to be draining via the hose method, and I wonder if it would come out via a pump.

jg

BW2-LTS
05-19-2005, 03:20 PM
The guy who does service at the dealership in my home town has an electric pump with a hose that accually screws onto the drain hose. I do not have one myself because my engine drains o.k., probably because it is a direct drive and the hose comes directly out of the drain plug in the bottom of the boat. The pump he uses is a 12volt and he just hooks it to a battery.

w8edwake
05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
I use a hand pump that has some clear plastic tubing attached to it. It is the perfect size to slip over the threads of the drain hose. I change the oil when it is warm and with the pump I can change the oil and filter in about 15 minutes.

I use the same pump to change the transmission fluid and v-drive fluid. I just bought some brass fittings that take the diameter of the tubing on the hand pump down to fit in the drain holes of both of them.