PDA

View Full Version : How do you get air off a wakesurf wave?

CarZin
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a 2009 21V. I have the ballast tuned in very well to create a beautiful wave. I am having the hardest time getting any air off the way with a Hyperlite Coex. It is NOT a fiberglass board, so weight may be the issue. One of my friends, slightly better, and also 25 pounds lighter, can just get some air off the wave, but I want to say it is less technique and more his lighter weight.

Do I need to get a really light board to get this to work out?

pap
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Not an answer to your question (I'm not even close yet!) but wondering what ballast and settings you are using on your boat - I've got the exact same one and have struggled quite a bit with wake ffoam and not getting a smooth wave.

wotan2525
09-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I have a 2009 21V. I have the ballast tuned in very well to create a beautiful wave. I am having the hardest time getting any air off the way with a Hyperlite Coex. It is NOT a fiberglass board, so weight may be the issue. One of my friends, slightly better, and also 25 pounds lighter, can just get some air off the wave, but I want to say it is less technique and more his lighter weight.

Do I need to get a really light board to get this to work out?

It's a combination of getting yourself enough speed.... fade way back in the wave and pump yourself forward... and timing your "ollie" motion correctly.

That coex might not be fast enough to get you the speed to ollie off the wave easily. Out of our crew, there's only one guy getting any kind of measurable air, and he also has the fastest board. It's a quadfin walker project board and it cuts HARD and moves FAST.

CarZin
09-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Not an answer to your question (I'm not even close yet!) but wondering what ballast and settings you are using on your boat - I've got the exact same one and have struggled quite a bit with wake ffoam and not getting a smooth wave.

I always ride starboard. I learned to wakesurf goofy since that is the side that this boat prefers, and since the driver doesnt act as a counter weight. I fill the stock front bag, and have a 750 pound rear locker bag. I then take a 550 pound bag and lay it behind the driver, and place one 550 pound on the floor up against the side. That is very surfable with just a driver and rider. It becomes perfect, with the rubrail matching the waterline when you put driver plus 4 in the boat. usually a little faster than 11 mph, with plate all the way up. I always have the boat in a slightly right turn to help clean the wake.

That coex might not be fast enough to get you the speed to ollie off the wave easily. Out of our crew, there's only one guy getting any kind of measurable air, and he also has the fastest board. It's a quadfin walker project board and it cuts HARD and moves FAST.

Yeah, I suspect the board is not fast enough with my weight (165). I am getting to try some fast boards this weekend. I have asked my wife to buy me the James Walker wakesurf board for Christmas. It will be a long 5 months to wait to try it!