PDA

View Full Version : I need help with fiberglass damage pics and what it cost to repair

SuperSaltAir
09-03-2011, 12:46 AM
It was a matter of time and it finally happened. Some drunk kid missed the trailer with daddy's boat and ended up running in to me and cracking the back rear right corner of my malibu while my boat was on the trailer in the water not just gel coat but full on on glass delamination about the size of a fist. Anyway I was just trying to get a ruff idea of how much it would cost to get it professionally repaired to see if the guy I want to use for the repair has a reasonable price. If any of you have had glass damage can you post a pic of the damage and what it cost to get it fixed?

foxriverat
09-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Doesnt the person that hit you have insurance? They should be paying. Bring it to the Malibu dealer if they are paying.

cadunkle
09-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Yep, to the dealer and let them fix it or sent it somewhere. You don't have to pay so only the best. You do have the guys information? You do have a police report since this happened at the ramp?

SuperSaltAir
09-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Well that's a long story but the driver of the boat was not the owner of the boat so its not really the insurance that will be paying for it. Also they ware drunk so if we got a police report the insurance would not pay for the damages because most policy will exclude coverage if the driver is under the influence. To top that off in AZ a DUI will cost the kid over 5k and I was thinking if he has to pay for a DUI I stand less of a chance actually getting payed, I know i can take him to court and win my case but all they will do in court is tell him that he has to pay and that's it if he has no $$ im not getting payed regardless of what the judge says. If I take the boat to the dealer they just sub out the work to the guy I want to use anyway plus they add there overhead and profit so essentially doubling the cost of the repair. The way I look at it if I can get the best deal on a quality repair the kid will pay for it and I can be back on the water in less than 2 weeks if I don't do that I we get in to the pissing mach and who knows what the outcome of that is 4 months later. Probably 2 lawyers with paychecks twice what the original $1300 repair was and me stuck paying for the repair anyway. I know that I leave myself very exposed by not getting a police report but I really did not want to get the kid a DUI it really was not worth it to me. I got all his info and I have been talking to him and he has been very responsive to the whole situation and seems like hi is willing to pay for everything I just don't want to screw him over ether.