PDA

View Full Version : Solid boats, right? Interesting day on the water...

cadunkle
09-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Had anyone else had their Supra in the air before? It was a choppy day on the river yesterday, with the wind blowing against the tide and a fair amount of cruiser and shipping traffic. Got completely in the air off a few cruiser wakes, while dodging some patches or large debris left over from the hurricane. Wore me out driving like that and chopping the throttle to keep it smooth over the 3'-4' cruiser and big ship wakes, keeping the revs down when the prop was out of the water. Thank goodness for that deep V up front on the ol' Saltare or it would have been a really rough ride. Overall very solid and doesn't pound like many inboards do in chop. Brought back memories of my performance boat days.

Canucker
09-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Do you still have teeth intact?

Blackntan90
09-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Cadunkle, yeah we had our Mariah airborne last summer, boating in Washington, D.C. Lots of large vessels, and seawalls make for an exciting time! It really suprised me the first time we flew- I was not really expecting it. But the 'ol Supra handled it really well!

haugy
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah, these boats are solid as tanks. Our comp was hit by an idiot driver and it barely made a 4 inch long by 1 inch wide gash on the stern as their boat ran all the way up the back and slid back down. In the spotters seat I was looking at the bottom of their hull above my head. No damage to the Comp other than the small gash.

The Mariah served as an anchor point for 60 boats (no exaggeration, we counted). The boats were compressing and pulling on the mariah in ways I don't really want to think about. But it never flinched. Solid as a rock.

The weekend, the Saltare was the bad boy maneuvering a 120ft houseboat with the bow thrusters failed in a storm. Let's just say, the ole girl became as legendary as the Mariah did. God I love these boats.

DAFF
09-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Alot of the ol timers will use them as mini tugs pull pull off cabin cruisers from aground.... Ran the Sunsport all weekend never missed a beat.... other than the radio going up in smoke....

sybrmike
09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
So Wotan, are you entering her in the next offshore race?

The sides might not quite be tank armor, but the bottom might be bulletproof. When I drilled the holes in the bottom for the ballast thru hull and paddle wheel pick up - I measured the plugs from the hole saw & they were 3/4" and 5/8" thick. That's a lot of fiberglass, coremat, & kevlar.

wotan2525
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Hah... how did I end up in this thread?

I've only gotten completely out of the water once. It was night and we were doing about 40mph headed back to the boat launch. Hit some kind of phantom roller (there was only one) and the boat launched completely out of the water. It was very smooth and surprising.

sybrmike
09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry Wot - brain fart this Monday, err Tuesday, morning. Looks like it's gonna be one of those days...

Cadunkle - if you're gonna stay out in that rough stuff, put a rev limiter on that big block & hammer it down:).