PDA

View Full Version : Let's' chat about the switchblade...

Ptownkid
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
http://switchbladewake.com/index.php

I'm sure many of you probably know about this, and there's been a lot of discussion regarding DIY wedges but what I want to know is this...

Does this product really make such a great wake and allow you to surf...? Is it really more fuel economical, or is that only when not riding as you'll have no ballast. I'm seriously interested in this because it seems a lot easier than doing a the whole hidden ballast thing.

Let's discuss the pros and cons. Anyone have one or use one?

haugy
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I dunno, but I'm not keen on losing my trim tab.

jet
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
All of the coolness and happiness ends when you see the cost. :((

tomelenbaas
09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I looked at these about 3 years ago. At that time I thought they were around $2,750 - a lot less than they are now - and thought then that they were too expensive.

My concern (in addition to cost) was the stress they would add to the transom and whether my older '88 Mariah was engineered to handle it. I would hate to see a giant hole ripped in my stern. I was also not convinced that they would not impair my slalom wake.

BTW - I think something very telling is the "News" page on their website - with nothing new since 2009. Umm. What have they been doing for the past couple of years?

Tom

haugy
09-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I looked at these about 3 years ago. At that time I thought they were around $2,750 - a lot less than they are now - and thought then that they were too expensive.

My concern (in addition to cost) was the stress they would add to the transom and whether my older '88 Mariah was engineered to handle it. I would hate to see a giant hole ripped in my stern. I was also not convinced that they would not impair my slalom wake.

BTW - I think something very telling is the "News" page on their website - with nothing new since 2009. Umm. What have they been doing for the past couple of years?

Tom

Spot on. The price is overinflated. And you're absolutely right, your transom is NOT set up for that kind of lateral load. Even if that was given to me free of charge I wouldn't put that on my boat.

Ptownkid
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Adding stiffness to the transom is not exactly difficult...

As for the price, yeah, it's up there, but I'm not entirely convinced that it's much more than what it would cost to build and install a fully hidden and versatile ballast system...coupled with the claim that it's more fuel efficient and it's not that far off the mark.

Ptownkid
09-06-2011, 09:34 PM
My real question is...does it actually work as well as they seem to claim it does.

stinky_1
09-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I wish I had my custom wedge installed by now so I could add real facts.

I have had my transom area apart and cleared out for measurements and such on the mounting. There is a massive over 1" thick section in your transom right up the middle that is a reinforcement for the swim platform. I have had 500+ lbs on that platform without the hull even creaking. I am convinced that there is plenty of strength there for anything you could hang off the back.

I was pretty sure that the theory of the wedge itself has been proven. This thing works on the same principle. They couldn't make it straight across because Malibu owns the patent on that wedge, change 3 things and its not a copy any more. If the wedge was a gimmick we wouldnt have every other manufacturer scrambling to make something that works the same. Hydrogate anyone??

As the summer slips away I am not sure if I will get my wedge on this year. Truth be told my boat is for sale right now so I am thinking I will save the wedge for my next boat. I am planning to get a 92+ sunsport so I can get away from the wood stringers. The wedge will go on that for sure so I can show you guys how it works out.