PDA

View Full Version : '95 Saltare - $3900

cadunkle
09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Not mine, but sounds like a steal for someone. If it was closer and I had the room I'd be tempted to pick it up and finish it. Composite boat, so it's all cosmetic and mechanical, simple stuff.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/2578312395.html

chrisk
09-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Man I wish I had the money sitting around for that... I think Haugy is going to be annoyed by this one too

haugy
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
DAMNIT!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg ggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.conservativesforamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/db85d__banghead.gif

Realistically though, no interior, missing A LOT of parts and pieces, it looks like a salvage job. Rebuilt engine and tranny means the whole thing was shot. This thing could be an electrical nightmare. Be very careful if anyone goes to look at it. It may be more of a headache then we're lead to believe.

cadunkle
09-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Out of curiosity, will the old style 80s caps go on the composite hulls? I hate the round windshield and newer style dash, but wouldn't be bad to snatch up an older Saltare with rotted stringers and just swap the cap and interior in. Then set the roundy cap on the old hull and sell it real cheap as a restoration project. At his price it seems like it could be cheaper than rebuilding an older hull with composite materials.

Just dreaming, my boat is solid so really no reason to do any of that except to future proof for a decade or two out when it might start rotting away. Even if this one sunk, if you dry it out real good I'd think it would be fine since there's nothing to rot, and electronics should still be pretty simple in '95 on a carbed boat.

DAFF
09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
I think the best solution is to find a rotten beast and transplant the needed mechanicial stuff. By the looks of the boat it was a salvage recovery. Why so much work all at once??? Where are all the numbers from the bow gone ??? Perhaps a remnant of Katrina!!!

sybrmike
09-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I too prefer the look of the older square windshields, but get it for half the asking price & you've got a great start to a heck of a boat. Looking back, I'da jumped all over this at the right price.

I'm sure they're proud of the rebuilt engine & trans, but missing pieces can add up quickly & be a pain to source or improvise. Interiors aren't cheap (next on my list). Even with composite stringers, if it sunk the foam could get wet down below. You might be fine structurally, but could easily be hauling around several hundred pounds of ballast forever. I completely redid the electrical on mine - intimidating at first, but not too bad once you dive in. I hope someone treats her to a nice resto.

mydogzeke
09-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I bought this boat a couple of weeks ago. I was looking for a cheap way to get back into owning a Supra after having to sell my old one a few years back. After buying it, i ran across this post. It's a project for sure, but overall the boat is in pretty decent shape. I have begun my search for engine parts now. I'll try to keep you posted on the progress. I welcome any helpful tidbits!

Thanks,

cadunkle
09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Congrats on owning an elusize composite stringer Saltare. Post up some pictures when you get a chance.

mydogzeke
09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks. I will try to take some photos along the way this Winter. I hope to have it in good shape by next spring.

haugy
09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm going to hate you. It's nothing personal, but I am going to really hate you. The only way to minimize the hate is to make sure you do a top-shelf job of restoration. No cutting corners, or cheap ass hack-jobs. I'm talking you care more for this boat than you do your own child restoration. The boat deserves it. This boat is one of the rarest of rare. The only one more elusive is a 1993 composite black Supra. Which was made in smaller production numbers than the red. But the red was the most popular.

Due to that, the red suffered ill fates at the hands of fools who let them get destroyed, only to be scrapped. So to have a 1993 composite hull Saltare in red, you are lucky as hell. Especially at the price you got it at. Seeing how I've wanted your boat for the past 15 years, I must really hate you.

So, please for the love of God and everything Supra, do this one right. We are all here to help you along with this, so make sure you ask if you don't know.

And take pics, more pics, lots more pics. Like we should already have a few pics already.

Good luck. :)

Blackntan90
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah... where are the pic's?

mydogzeke
09-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Haugy... Wow, flattering! A little freaky, but flattering nonetheless, haha. Yeh, once i saw this boat up for sale at that price, i jumped on it. I'm super stoked to begin this project. I will definitely be needing some help along the way. I will post some pics as soon as our weather and my crazy busy schedule allows me to get out there and take some decent ones.

Honestly, getting this boat back on the water is going to be like putting a puzzle together. Right now, I'm just trying to gather all of the information on the engine that I can. The original PCM 454 was replaced by a Mercruiser 454 long block at some point. Apparently, the original owner (not the guy i bought it from) let the PCM block crack (didn't winterize; what a moron). Yet, the Merc. 454 is the block only, no external components... i.e. carb/fuel inj., starter, intake, exh. manifolds, dist., water pump, pulleys, etc... So, if anyone on here has any extra parts lying around, i'd love to take them off your hands. I'm trying very hard not to have to fork out the big bucks for all new parts. I've ran across several engines that are for sale that I've thought about buying and just using the parts, but it's hard to know if their engine parts will match up with my engine (not to mention, some of the sellers have seemed a bit sketchy, if you know what i mean. So, I'm currently investigating to figure out what i have and what i need. So, if you guys have any knowledge to lend toward that; it would be most appreciated. I'm looking forward to the journey that will be this project and the beer-drinking that will accompany it. I'm determined to get this thing running and looking GOOD! Thanks!

sybrmike
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Yep, better treat her right - hell hath no fury like a Haugy scorned...

I'd tear into the Mercruiser a bit to make sure the long block is all good. Then identify which year/generation of 454 it is (IV, V, VI) and go shopping for "used" components accordingly - ideally, a complete set-up with a trashed block. Otherwise you can piece meal components (although I'd for sure get a complete set of pulleys, brackets, raw water pump, etc. for the front). Fuel (carb or FI), electrical, and the exhaust manifolds are marine specific. The rest can be standard automotive stuff. I used some aftermarket parts (intake, water pump, etc.) that presented some challenges getting everything to line up, but wasn't that bad.

cadunkle
09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Yep, plenty of Merc 454 out there. Watch Craigslist and Ebay for engine or parts. Iintake and carb, along with any other of that sort of stuff should be cheap and easy to find. Marine stuff like brackets nad raw water pump, not quite as easy. Watch for cracked block engines fully dressed or someone parting out a rotter out or burned out boat.

mydogzeke
10-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Good advice! I've been talking with some folks in FL who have a 454 Merc. It looks like the parts are salvageable. It could work. If any of you happen to come across anything else; please let me know.

In the mean time, I also want to add some nice decals. I don't want anything too gaudy like these new wraps that I've seen. Nothing against those, I'm just looking for something classic and neat. I've seen some on ebay, but thought I'd ask first.

I also need a set of keys for the ignition. Apparently, those went missing before i got the boat. Does anyone know how I can get some keys, without having to call a locksmith to come out?

Thanks again!

I promise I will post pics soon.

sybrmike
10-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Probably cheaper just to buy a new ignition switch with keys included.

mydogzeke
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM

some photos...

mydogzeke
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM

some more...

As you can see, it needs a whole lot of love. Notice the the captain's seat that I cut in half and rebuilt. Trying to add the original foam back to it, and hoping to get it recovered soon.

If anyone has any thoughts on the engine needs, feel free to comment.

I'll be posting more photos, as things start happening.

Thanks,

mydogzeke
10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
btw, that's a great point Mike. I've already begun looking for some of those, and they're very reasonably priced.

Thanks!

sybrmike
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Looks like the foundation for a great boat! Composite stringers have lots of us green with envy...

Not sure how to incorporate those rectangular valve cover vents unless you get a complete mercruiser air cleaner set-up. Standard aluminum valve covers might be easier & relatively cheap. If you go that route, just be sure to get the "short" ones as the "tall" covers will interfere with exhaust manifolds. Looks like you've slipped the top bushing in the port rear trans mount. Skidim (you'll get to know those folks well...) has all the bushings & rebuilding the mounts is pretty easy. Even if you don't rebuild the mounts, be sure to check the coupling alignment once it's all back together. Good luck.

mydogzeke
10-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Very true, Mike. Richard at Skidim has already been very helpful. Thanks for the input.

mydogzeke
10-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I realize that this is a topic that has come up before; but, I'm going to be needing a prop. I want something good for wakesurfing/wakeboarding. Any advice on what to look for? specs? brands? size, etc...? I've gathered that i need to go with a 4-blade. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Salty87
10-15-2011, 01:27 PM
what a great project. you've got a way to go but it will be so worth it. do you have the missing parts?...carb, wiring harness, etc?

the saltare was such a great design, looks like there weren't that many changes pre-composite/post-composite except for the dash/topcap.

i'm a big fan of acme props. can't remember which one i have off the top of my head. give them a call, they answer 'what prop' questions all day long.....acmemarine.com

DAFF
10-15-2011, 04:00 PM
What you need is a complete parts boat with a nice interior and bad engine needing stringers. Watch KL for something. Thu=is way you will not be nickel and dimed to death.

sybrmike
10-17-2011, 12:30 PM
There's still a bunch of debate on 3 vs 4 (or even 5) blade, so I won't even go there...

It all depends on your hull/drive line setup and desired usage. With surfing/boarding on your list, you'll probably be in the 12 to 10.5 range on pitch depending on how much ballast you run and how much top end you still want to retain (it's all a trade off). I'm planning on ~2k in ballast, but I've got a few extra ponies and ft-lbs with the heads, intake, etc. and I still wanted 40mph. After numerous discussions with Acme, I went with their 541 13x12 3 blade through JT at Nettles Props. I've only run it once, but was easily hitting mid 40's empty & don't think there'll be any problem loaded for surfing. I'd wait on the prop until your closer to hitting the water - they will swap props if you don't like the way your first choice performs (if it's not too long after shipping the original). Like Salty said, I'd lean on the experts at OJ or Acme.

wotan2525
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that I also run the 541. I've been happy with it even though I had it pitched down when I was having it resurfaced. Helps with surfing and I don't ever need to hit 40, anyway.

mydogzeke
10-17-2011, 11:01 PM
what a great project. you've got a way to go but it will be so worth it. do you have the missing parts?...carb, wiring harness, etc?

Much Thanks Salty! I've seen your rebuild pics...very nice. I don't think I'm going to be getting that intense, especially since I'm dealing with composite. But, yeh, I'm super excited about having a Saltare.

I don't have any of the missing parts as of now. I'm still working on that. However, I just spoke to a mechanic friend of mine who used to help me out a lot on my previous boats. He seems to think that he has a lot of the 454 parts that I'm needing. I'm going to go down to his shop and check into that soon.

I've got the intake manifold. I just picked up a new ignition switch, and have been working on the interior a bit. I'm hoping to get all of that done before winter hits, then get it in the garage and start on the engine stuff when it gets cold.

Daff, I've run across a couple of old dressed 454's, but nothing worth pursuing yet. I think I'll wait to see exactly what my mechanic friend has, before i go making any big purchases.

on a positive note: I found a guy in town who is going to fab and weld two of the missing swim platform brackets for $20. Also, may be getting my hands on some really cheap ballast bags. My interior is in decent shape. I found some upholstery material on sale Saturday for $3/yard (can't beat that with a stick). I may just recover some of the interior myself this year, then get it professionally done later on down the road.

mydogzeke
10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Mike,

That's great info... I'll be getting in touch with the Acme folks. I think you're right, waiting til I'm water ready is probably the best idea. I'm really surprised to hear you guys say that you're running 3-blade props. I had thought that everything wakesurf/wakeboarding was moving toward 4-blade. Like you said, i'm sure there are arguments for both. Keep your eyes open for one for me, as well as anything else that might be helpful.

wotan, i saw the surf video you posted. Very nice! I'm looking to have two 250 bags up front under the driver cockpit, and under the port side storage; with a 750 in the back, above the gas tank (i removed the plastic storage bin; planning to build a support above the tank). Any thoughts on this?

Thanks guys!

haugy
10-23-2011, 11:22 AM
mydogzeke Start a thread in the repair/project forums. This is the classifieds, no need to bump a boat that is no longer for sale. This way we can watch your boat as you progress.