PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about this boat???

DAFF
09-08-2011, 12:19 AM
I have been looking at this Pirata for almost a year now on |CL. Very low hours and love the overall look of this boat. For me the extra room of the Pirata matched with the closed bow will work good on the larger lakes. Have scooped the bow a few times with the Sunsport. The idea of a afternoon nap sounds very nice too in the front.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/2537956178.html

The guy selling the boat was a son of a Supra dealer and this was his late fathers boat. Any other info would be great. Other Pirata owners please chime in with your wisdom too.

DAFF
09-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Found a new listing on Ebay..... Interior is rough...... Looks like a pull the cap candidate. Price is down to 5900....

jet
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Looks like its in pretty good condition to me.

foxriverat
09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Is this the one from ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Supra-Piratta-Ski-Boat-330-HP-PCM-/250888030224?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item3a6a178810#v4-34

jet
09-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Man, Im lookin at that ladies lounge up front and thinking with a bunch of led's and drinks, I could do sum biniss in there. lol.

I like that for spending the night or just hanging out up there.

DAFF
09-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Anyone know the maximum length inside the cuddy???? Just wondering if you would have to sleep in the fetal position or if one could spread out some. Does that engine look original??? Funny all the flat grey?? All in all it might not be that bad. Might have to break up the twins to make some room in the stable.

Jetlink
09-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Anyone know the maximum length inside the cuddy???? Just wondering if you would have to sleep in the fetal position or if one could spread out some. Does that engine look original??? Funny all the flat grey?? All in all it might not be that bad. Might have to break up the twins to make some room in the stable.

Build a bigger stable instead, less drama that way splitting up twins.

Blackntan90
09-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Jet, you crack me up! Daff, in my 90 Mariah the playpen is not big enough to really stretch out in. I am 5'10" If I put my feet in the walk-through, I can lay out.

cadunkle
09-14-2011, 08:13 AM
I would imagine it's fairly roomy inside the stabbin' cabin. I'm tall at 6'4" and I can stretch out slouched down on the cushions in the bow of my Saltare. So if it's a big pad in there or a V berth I'd think there's room for me to lay almost flat or completely flat if you're vertically challenged.

DAFF
09-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Build a bigger stable instead, less drama that way splitting up twins.

The stable is 50x60 now..... Funny how much stuff you can accumulate during a life time. Picked up the third boat last week, only 12' in length but the fish won't care.

Found a 86 Salty near by, almost fell over when I found it was red and grey too!!! Problem was the red was only done with a band rather than solid. Has anyone ever seen another red a rainbow striped Salty or Pirata.

gogger
02-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Well I bought this piratta. Wish I had looked here before I brought her home. Didn't know she had been for sale this long. Got her for 4800. Interior is pretty rough. My idea was to fix it up to useable condition and do a total redo later down the line. Don't know if that is going to be possible. Took her to a shop nearby and he wanted $10000 to replace the stringers, floor, upholstery and carpet. Way out of my budget. I have a guy that works for me that can rebuild the seat bases and patch the floor. I haven't checked the motor mount bolts myself but the guy that looked at it said they wouldn't tighten down on one side? Any chance git rot will help for a year or two until I can save for a total redo?

TitanTn
02-20-2012, 09:57 PM
It's hard to say, but I think once they start going, they go fast. If you or your man is mechanically inclined, it's not too tough of a job to do the stringers yourself. It just takes a lot of time. Or you could find someone to do the stringers and floor for the $4k - $5k range, and put off doing the interior for a while.

DAFF
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
You could try a longer lag bolt o the horizontal hole mounts. As for the interior, when they start to turn soft the stringers and floor are not far behind. Hopefully the engine was removed later in its life and the holes are the major issue, while the stringers are ok. As for the boat, she can be a beauty in time.

gogger
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Did you go look at this boat, just wondered since you started the thread? He lead me to believe he had it on the water a couple years ago. He said his father passed away 4 years ago and he has been trying to sell off his stuff ever since. Apparently his dad had a lot of money and a lot of stuff. He had a ferrari he sitting next to the boat that was his dads.

He said the Carb was new as someone had robbed it at the dealership to put on another boat. The guy I had look at redoing it said the engine wasn't originally nor were the exhaust manifolds. So I am wondering if the whole motor was robbed and then replaced to try and sell it. So I guess I won't know until I start it how good a motor it has in it. I am thinking maybe I should start it now just to be sure it will run and isn't in bad shape.....

TitanTn
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
I definitely think it'd be a good idea to start it now, even if you have to re-winterize it. You'll want to know what you're getting into before you start making decisions about how you're going to manage the restoration.

I would unplug the main coil plug and turn the engine over for a little while to let the oil pump lubricate the engine before actually starting it. You don't actually know how long it's been sitting, so it's better to be safe.

DAFF
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
I thought the guy had a dealership with his father and they both had boats. By the sounds of it the boat has potential but needs some love. Before you do anything more get the engine running and check the vitals of the drive line. :?:

I never did go see the boat. I always wanted to but the length of time on CL lent me believe it had issues or the asking price was out of touch. I always thought the boat was worth the 3900-4200 dollar mark for it is a biggin but not the Saltare. I do like the colour combo but I am partial to white boats, even though I had two red ones. But that is another story.

How wet is the boat??? Has it been sitting inside for extended time or just placed inside for you to view it. I would drill a few inspection holes into the right and left foam compartments and check for the general condition of the foam. A good place to do so is under the spotters seat a 5/8" hole would work well. Stick your finger inside and hope for dryness.

gogger
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Well my best guess is that it sat outside for a while at the dealership. The mooring cover has some rot holes in it from sitting out with a puddle on the cover. And then I think it has been inside for the last couple of years. I am going to call him tonight and see if I can get the truth out of him just so I know where I stand. It doesn't appear to have sat full of water, but apparently wet enough to rot the seats.

Exterior is pretty, so maybe it wasn't outside that much. I don't really know.

So what do you think it is worth if the stringers need replaced along with the interior. I paid $4800 so I am not too much over what you said you think it is worth.

bens250ex
02-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Don't worry gogger I over paid for my comp lol. It can't be worse off than mine so just check stringers and go from there.

Blackntan90
02-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Please post some pics! I have never seen a Pirata!

gogger
02-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I posted some pics under the service threads. Should have put them here. Sorry.