PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 1985 Supra Sunsport

suprasam
09-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I am thinking about buying a Supra Sunsport with the 351 motor. The floor and stringers have been completly redone, interior is in decent shape. I would probably give it a 7 out of 10, the gel coat is nice, and carpet was replaced last year when the floors were done. The current owner does not know how many hours on the tranny or motor. There are no leaks, or any issues known. I am taking it out tomorrow for a test drive. What in particular should I be looking for? I have owned around 7boats.....all either I/O or outboards, never a Inboard or any type of wake/ski boat. The price seems to be in the range of others that I have seen on the internet, I just need advice on what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help!

Okie Boarder
09-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Thoroughly check out the engine and transmission...compression, overall operation, acceleration, deceleration, idle, under load, etc. Check all the electronics and gauges. Check the stringer job and look to determine how well it appears to be done. As lots of questions about the replacement...Was it a cap off job? What kind of wood was used? What type of layup process (How many layers of what type of glass) was used? Any pictures of the rebuild?

suprasam
09-09-2011, 10:25 AM
The cap was off when the stringers were done....well I was told it was anyway. I didn't think about to ask about layers, but I will now(thx). I will need to stop by and rent a compression tester from the local auto parts place prior to going up there. Thanks for the idea.

DAFF
09-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Seems stupid, but the condition of the bilge area will give you a good idea of the overall condition of the boat. How??? A fussy owner will never allow it to build up with grime and oil, and the wiring down there will also give a good idea of the rest of the boat.

From the underside look at where the rudder, strut and skegs attatch to the hull. They should be tight and look original with no signs of damage. Also look at the trailer, factory ones seem to be weak on the front section of the bunks and rot off.

Hours to me are just a number..... I have seen many lower hour boats which are in terrible shape where high hour boats will be maintained much more.