PDA

View Full Version : Led Speaker Rings? Still Cool??

jet
09-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I am fixing to pull the trigger on some led speaker rings. I am way behind the curve on getting these, are they still cool?? Or are we on to something diff now? Just curious? Jet

jsandy
09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
not cool. kinda like the under glow lights on fast and furious cars

haugy
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Some people still like them. I think it's overkill.

The LED's in the interior serve a purpose in my opinion. Low power draw, cool color accent to match the boat, and interior lighting. The excessive LED's in every location possible illuminating everything is overkill IMO.

I personally think they are gawdy and ghetto'ish. But that's only my opinion.

jet
09-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Thats what Im trying to figure out? Im not a Big Pimpin kind of guy, Im more stealthy jet fighter like. Quite and carry a BIG stick. lol. I am def doing them in the interior and was thinking that that might be too much on the top and the interior?

Idea!!! Installing the led's with only lets say 20% of the down lighting part showing and block the other 80% side and up lighting? What do yall think about that?

cadunkle
09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm with Haugy, they're tecky and ghetto. A few lights to illuminate the interior, or transom lights, if you boat at night, are cool and make sense, but keep them hidden and not "showing off" anything.

Okie Boarder
09-09-2011, 05:22 PM
They do throw a nice glow for night time surfing, as you may recall Jet ;-) I don't really care for them other than that purpose.

sybrmike
09-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Personally, I'm not big on speaker & cupholder rings, but I like LED's in general & do like the subtle glow in stainless cupholders. I still think the flexibility and effects of RGB LED's are pretty cool though. RGB LED s/s cupholders? Hmmm... Excuse me, I've gotta go sketch something.

Ptownkid
09-10-2011, 02:35 PM
If you install LED speaker rings, you may as well glue a bobble head to the dash while you are at it...

jonyb
09-10-2011, 03:40 PM
can't be as tacky as black wheels on trucks and trailers.....

Blackntan90
09-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I personally like the black wheel look better than the shiney stuff- looks like business! My present tow vehicle(2002 suburban) has the polished forged factory wheels, and they are starting to look bad with the clearcoat peeling. With that being said, the only LED's on my boat are located for inderect lighting-under the seat base lips,etc. I don't want to see them, just want to see the light they put off.

Dtha
09-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I plan on doing led rings next spring. Never seen them on the lake I live on. Never seen them in person before as a matter of fact.

Don't let other people's thoughts stop you. I've seen dozens of boats with modifications I wouldn't dare do to my boat. If you end up not liking them I'm sure you can sell them on ebay easily.

Ptownkid
09-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Yup, that is pretty much it...do what you like and forget about cool/not cool.

cadunkle
09-11-2011, 11:48 AM
For a couple years I ran black steelies on my truck, wrapped with 38.5"x15" Ground Hawgs. Very practical, utilitarian and low maintenance. Just wash and touch up with a rattle can whenever they get scratched or whatever from mud/grit/trees/etc. Definitely less maintenance to keep looking decent than the aluminum I have on it now.

wotan2525
09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
LED speaker rings will look good sitting in your front yard! Go for it!

jet
09-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I guess I ment in "style". ask cmtaylor (chad) I invented cool!! lol. Im with yall on the lighting effect rather than the light. just needing help on some of these decisions. i didnt want to get them and then they bee on the way out so to speak. Thanks guys. I knew I would get some opinions. lol

jonyb
09-13-2011, 02:04 AM
If the LED's are done right, they look good. That means hidden where you only see the glow, or under acrylic. Whether it's in style or not doesn't matter as long as you're happy with it.

cmtaylor777
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Get some gonads and make your own decisions. I love mine but then again, I'm not so old that I have to ask what is cool and what is not....hippie!

mapleleaf
09-15-2011, 03:00 AM
If we rewind a little, we'll find an Entrepreneurial Jet proud to share his energy saving business and its truly remarkable benefits. Could his resto be bringing his inner beast back to the surface?? Its hard to be satisfied with status quo.
My vote is for trial and error everytime.....

Btw the way how bout a job offer J, I'm done with winter and i got fam down there.....