PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Sunsport

ckracing
09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Well, after looking for a long time I brought home a 1986 Sunsport yesterday. Will be restoring over winter. Forum members - the questions are about to fly...
-Chris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67488381@N08/6138861668/

DAFF
09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Was that the one for sale in Michigan???? If so it was a good buy.... Be on a lookout for a factory dual axle trailer. Those older Sunsoprts are too heavy for a single axle IMO. Lots of people looking for good trailers for inboards.

So where are you from and where do you ride??? You are going to love the ol Sunsport!!!!

wotan2525
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the family!

I agree about the trailer. That one is too small for the boat. I've got my fingers crossed that you're going to put the boat on a lift or dry-dock or something. The single axle trailer under it was only meant for winter storage or was pinched from a smaller boat.

Okie Boarder
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Looks pretty good from that one picture. Be sure to post more. Welcome!

ckracing
09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Yes - it was in Michigan. Watched it end on eBay and kept in contact. Looked at it while on business and then worked the deal over the next couple weeks. Went up and back on Saturday to pick it up. Very pleased thus far. I live on a lake just outside Cincinnati (Hidden Valley Lake - Lawrenceburg, IN.). Boat will be kept in the Marina or on lift. Will keep the dual axle in mind if I plan on going distances. Trailer towed quite nice. Sunsport will be going in to The Antique Boat Center over the Fall/Winter for restoration. Really, really pleased. I looked a long time for 'the one'.
-Chris

ckracing
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Surprise - surprise!
Needs stringers. The winter just got more expensive.
Anybody consider stringing with material other than wood to over-build?
For instance - composite material / billet / carbon fiber / Kevlar sandwich?
I have acccess to a lot different things with my race car experience - just don't know that it'd be cost effective when compared to the norm.