PDA

View Full Version : Empty the cooler?

ckracing
09-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Good evening. How do you empty the cooler in an 86 Sunsport Skier? Thanks in advance!
///cjk

chrisk
09-13-2011, 07:50 PM
If it's the same cooler as my '85 Sunsport you can't take it out, it's molded in to the boat. Mine has a drain plug in the bottom.

scottchapin
09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Drink fast

cadunkle
09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
^ This!

Seriously though, I don't have a plug for my cooler so can't use it. Is there something off the shelf that will fit so I can fill with ice/water or do I have to get creative?

rludtke
09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
I have seen the rubber expanding "transom" type plugs in a variety of sizes in the maring section of my hardware store, Mayber one of these might fit? What diameter do you require? Live wells often use these expansion plugs.

wotan2525
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
^ This!

Seriously though, I don't have a plug for my cooler so can't use it. Is there something off the shelf that will fit so I can fill with ice/water or do I have to get creative?

What's the worst that happens? Water drains into the bilge? I built my cooler and specifically designed it this way!

sybrmike
09-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you can use a a twist-lock or lever style expanding bilge plug like outboards/io's (mine's 1") to hold a water level to help keep things cool. Although the factory insulation is woefully inadequate - hence the nickname of "ice melter" instead of "cooler" for these things. You can just let it drain into the bilge when needed. There's probably a hose nipple on the underside of the drain (mine's just a thru-hull fitting), so you could attach a section of hose to direct the flow towards the rear if desired.

Alternately, some have found soft-sided coolers that fit well & make loading & unloading easier, plus actually serve as an insulator.

Okie Boarder
09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Duct tape. Seriously, I tried a few of the plugs and nothing wanted to stay. I didn't really want the water draining because a lot of times the melting of ice produces really cold water so it helps in keeping things cold. I just taped over the hole, after removing the thru hull fitting sybrmike talked about, and I drain it by using my wet vac.

cadunkle
09-14-2011, 08:10 PM
I think I still have a 1" expanding drain plug floating around from my old I/O. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be the right size. The hole looked smaller than 1" though... I'll measure if it doesn't fit.