PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Slop2

Blue82
05-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I\'m a relatively new owner of an 87 Sunsport Skier and I have several questions. First my rudder has what I consider \"slop\" in the shaft which means I can move it side to side approximately 1/4\". Should I be concerned about it? If so, how do I fix it? Also am I missing something when removing the prop? Do I have to remove the rudder to get the prop off? The large gear puller I have keeps hitting the rudder. Finally, where can I get a speedometer be it used or new?

I hope this post works...

Kylake13
05-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I also have an '87 Sunsport Skier with the same rudder slop. Does you rudder leak? My rudder housing leaks a little up though the shaft while stopped and even more while under way. Last summer I replaced the alemite grease fitting, pumped it full of grease, and it still leaks (even though I was told that would stop the leak). I guess my next step is to remove the rudder to find out what kind of seals or bushings I need for replacement.

Has anyone else out there had these rudder problems? Thanks for the advise.

Blue82
05-24-2005, 07:34 AM
I just noticed the problem with the rudder this year while getting the boat ready for the water. I did get a little water in the boat last year but I never researched the problem. I bet that's where it came from. I too will probably take the entire assembly apart and try to figure out where the problem is.

01sunsportboarder
05-30-2005, 09:08 AM
my steering is incredibly hard. I greased the rudder, wow what a task with ballast tanks. in a 01 sunsport. but that was no help. next is my cable but I;m wondering if I have to replace the entire steering assembly or just the cable and why it would lock up in just 3.5 years of use. Rodney Dalton GA

Kylake13
06-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I replaced my steering cable and housing last summer on my '87 Sunsport Skier. Now it steers like a new boat. I would not think that your '01 should be having steering problems now, but you never know. I had to replace my entire housing along with the cable since my boat is so old, but you may be able to just replace the cable. Once you unhook the cable from the housing under the dash you should be able to determine if the housing also needs replacing by how easily it turns. I would recommend talking to the people at "www.skidim.com" about your steering, and they will be able to lead you in the right direction. They have very helpful and knowledgeable people there. Good luck.

Blue82
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I finally took the time to take the thing apart and found that the slop is aparently from excessive wear. I think it's a poor design and could have used some sort of sealed bearing where the rudder shaft enters the rudder box (housing). I'm going to take it to a machine shop and have the shaft smoothed and a bushing cut for the rudder box. Does anyone know where I can get the rubber seals in the housing that are held in by the o-rings?

Blue82
06-13-2005, 09:32 AM
The best solution was to purchase a replacement rudder box from SC. The new design has an upper and lower o-ring. It took the play out of the rudder and it works great, all for $150.

Kylake13
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Did you buy it from www.skidim.com? If not from whom? I need to order one.
Thanks for the information.

Blue82
07-12-2005, 05:02 PM
I bought it from Skiers Choice (SC).