PDA

View Full Version : Fogging 340 Cat EFI

BeachFarmer
09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Greetings:

I plan to (or should I?) fog my 2008 Launch with the 340 CAT EFI engine as I will be winterizing it this weekend. I read the sticky on winterizing and it indicates fogging the cylinders then turning over the engine with the spark plugs OUT. This seems like it may make a mess.

When I have fogged other motors, I've done it with the spark plugs in but with the spark plug wire not connected.

Here is my question...If I fog the cyclinders, replace the spark plugs and turn the motor over without the spark plug wires connected, will this procedure cause an engine fault that requires me to take the boat to the dealer for them to reprogram the ECU...thanks...j

docdrs
09-23-2011, 05:52 PM
This is what I have done with no codes being thrown on my 09 340 cat. I put towel over the holes when I turn it over , not a lot came out but I would rather the excess come out rather than have it all coat the cat which is why they want you to do it this way rather than thru the TB. It really is to coat the rings from oxidizing.

BeachFarmer
09-24-2011, 01:59 PM
thanks for the info...j

cadunkle
09-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Not to rock everyone's religion of winterization but when storing engines for long periods I've squirted two stroke oil in the cylinders, put the plugs back in and turned it over either by hand or with starter but coil unplugged to spread the oil around better. The idea being two stroke oil is thick and coats/protects well but burns clean so doesn't gum up rings and valves. I use two stroke to lube pistons when installing them, as I believe it prevents the rings from getting gunked up when the oil burns off. I'm sure fogging oil is just fine though and is prudent vs. doing nothing before letting it sit.

riveredge
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
cadunkle, I think you're right on with 2 stroke oil - the point is to coat the metal, and 2-stroke oil and fogging oil both do exactly that, right? Better than nothing, that's for sure.

docdrs
09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Not to rock everyone's religion of winterization but when storing engines for long periods I've squirted two stroke oil in the cylinders, put the plugs back in and turned it over either by hand or with starter but coil unplugged to spread the oil around better. The idea being two stroke oil is thick and coats/protects well but burns clean so doesn't gum up rings and valves. I use two stroke to lube pistons when installing them, as I believe it prevents the rings from getting gunked up when the oil burns off. I'm sure fogging oil is just fine though and is prudent vs. doing nothing before letting it sit.

Sounds good cadunkle , I like the spray stuff as I can spray it upward into the cylinder so I get some on the top of the rings, gravity will draw it down to the bottom of the rings , the oil will tend to only coat the lower 1/3 of the piston/rings due to gravity so i am more worried about the top portion ....... Can you get 2 cycle oil in a spray?