PDA

View Full Version : Safety Key Ignition

suprasam
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
When I bought my Supra, the owner told me that sometimes the neutral safety switch doesnt' want to work. It has only not worked twice on me since I have had the boat. When it's being stubborn, I have to push forward, and then back....then try to start and it then works. If it's going out, my luck it will go out complety when I am about 2 hours away from the docks. Anyone replaced this? Is it easy or expensive?

lively
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
its easy man , if you look at your cable that puts the trans in gear where the (selector input shaft ) is ... directly across is your neutral safety switch ..... but first check and make sure the cable and relation is set right ....

wotan2525
09-26-2011, 11:33 AM
its easy man , if you look at your cable that puts the trans in gear where the (selector input shaft ) is ... directly across is your neutral safety switch ..... but first check and make sure the cable and relation is set right ....

I don't know how the switch would fail. It's MUCH more likely that the cable is slightly out of adjustment.

cadunkle
09-26-2011, 01:06 PM
^ This... Check cable adjustment first. Remove cable if necessary and verify it starts in neutral without the cable attached. If it was adjusted fine, then I'd just replace the switch. Note if it ever fails all you'd have to do is bypass the neutral safety switch... Short the two wires to it together and you're golden. Or jump the S terminal on your solenoid, or jump the high side with a screwdriver, etc.