PDA

View Full Version : 89 Saltare in WI

jbh3u3r
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum but I have been reading all the great information in the threads for past month. I just put a WTB post for a Saltare in the classifieds on this forum but I wanted to share one I have been looking at for a couple weeks now and get some opinions. It has less than 500 hrs and they are asking $10,700. Looks like its decent shape in the pictures but I haven't called yet to ask about the floor. Anyone have something better for me?

http://www.gagemarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=06944239X9K27K2011J1I55I2 6JPMQ6691R0&veh=2242341

wotan2525
09-27-2011, 04:08 PM
It looks to be in good, clean shape, but with questionable wood stringers it's overpriced.

IF the stringers AND floor are solid, I wouldn't pay more than $8000-9000. It doesn't have any upgrades (tower, stereo, ballast.)

I also wonder why it's not loaded all the way on to the trailer!

I can't get to this site from work, but have you looked at these: http://onlyinboards.com/HomeSearch.aspx?Tag=saltare

jbh3u3r
09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I did look at the 87 that is also in WI but I think that one is overpriced too. The 1986 with the 351 sparked my interest a bit. I ultimately want to install a tower and ballast system so I'm wondering if the 351 would be able to handle it. I just read today's thread on having a 351 in a Saltare and the responses seemed mixed.

ruby23m
09-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Just to give you an idea... I paid $8000 for my '86 with 400 hours. Mechanically perfect, interior in excellent condition. Only problem.... soft spots in the floor. I didn't have the knowledge that I do now regarding the stringers in these boats. If I did I would have tried talking the price down FURTHER based on what may lie beneath. I did end up tearing out the floor and making some patches to some trouble areas. The good news was the engine mounts were still tight. Spent $300 for a quick fix, but I know very well now that a complete stringer job will be in order in the near future. As far as the 351 vs. the 454, don't go small! You may regret that one. What I'm trying to say is make a smart decision, be well informed and don't let anyone sell you a boat without knowing what the condition of the stringers is.

kvand347
09-28-2011, 08:47 AM
FWIW--I just purchased (2 weeks ago) a '93 Sunsport for $10,500 with ballast (1800 lbs), tower, etc. I don't have to worry about stringers because I am ALL composite!! If you are looking in that price range, I would look into newer years without wood.

Though I have not run it with ballast yet, I think you would be pleasantly suprised at how well a 351w will handle weight. If you absolutely need the extra power, then look into a 454. You need to weigh that with the extra fuel it will cost you to run the boat. Keep in mind also that you can upgrade to GT-40 heads and bolt on something like 40-60hp.

I'm in Stevens Point if you are interested in taking a ride. Looks to be a nice weekend and am planning to go out both Saturday and Sunday. Gonna get some boarding in with a full body wet suit and will be testing the ballast. PM me if interested.

jbh3u3r
09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
kvand347, I live in Wisconsin Rapids so we are only about 20 miles a part. Where do you usually ride? We go out on the river a lot between Biron and Point.

Ideally I would like to find one with stringers and floor that have already been replaced because I don't have the knowledge yet to do the job. My upper price range is about 11k so I would definitely go for a 93 or newer with composite if I could find one. On the other hand, I'm open to buying an older one that needs some work. It all depends on what I find.

If I end up with Saltare, it will be one with a 454. I would rather have that extra power available when I need it, especially since we usually have a pretty big crew of people on the boat.

cadunkle
09-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Mine is for sale. I don't absolutely need to sell it so it's priced on the high side. Over your budget, but thought I'd throw it out there. The boat does need a rudder as the current one is worn but that's on my to-do list in November after I'm done for the season. Since the pictures were taken I have compounded\polished\waxed the hull so it's a little shinier now.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2516804692.html

wotan2525
09-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Mine is for sale. I don't absolutely need to sell it so it's priced on the high side. Over your budget, but thought I'd throw it out there. The boat does need a rudder as the current one is worn but that's on my to-do list in November after I'm done for the season. Since the pictures were taken I have compounded\polished\waxed the hull so it's a little shinier now.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2516804692.html

I also PM'd him about my boat. Not for sale and I'd probably be gutted if it sold... but.... everything has a price, right? ;)

kvand347
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
kvand347, I live in Wisconsin Rapids so we are only about 20 miles a part. Where do you usually ride? We go out on the river a lot between Biron and Point.

Ideally I would like to find one with stringers and floor that have already been replaced because I don't have the knowledge yet to do the job. My upper price range is about 11k so I would definitely go for a 93 or newer with composite if I could find one. On the other hand, I'm open to buying an older one that needs some work. It all depends on what I find.

If I end up with Saltare, it will be one with a 454. I would rather have that extra power available when I need it, especially since we usually have a pretty big crew of people on the boat.

That's sweet! I usually ride the Stevens Point flowage but next year I'll hit up Wazeecha, Lake Emily (Amherst), and the Chain (Waupaca). I'll be on the point flowage this weekend if you want to check out the boat and get a feel for it. Gonna try the ballast, too!

I don't know the Biron stretch very well so I tend to stay out of those waters!

Your top of line price will be $10,500 because you have to figure on about $600 in tax, title, license. Be patient and keep looking! You will find your boat for sure! Many people are WAY over-priced right now. I would never pay $10,500 for a wooden stringer boat unless I'm absolutely sure of the quality of the rebuild!

kvand347
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Sorry for the double quote!!

foxriverat
09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
That's sweet! I usually ride the Stevens Point flowage but next year I'll hit up Wazeecha, Lake Emily (Amherst), and the Chain (Waupaca). I'll be on the point flowage this weekend if you want to check out the boat and get a feel for it. Gonna try the ballast, too!

I don't know the Biron stretch very well so I tend to stay out of those waters!

Your top of line price will be $10,500 because you have to figure on about $600 in tax, title, license. Be patient and keep looking! You will find your boat for sure! Many people are WAY over-priced right now. I would never pay $10,500 for a wooden stringer boat unless I'm absolutely sure of the quality of the rebuild! I agree. Keep looking. If it in your budget. Get a 92 or newer supra with composite stringer and never have to worry. Not all 92`s were composite. Only the ones with the rounded windshield. Here is a search engine you can try. http://www.searchtempest.com/