PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pump is not pumping on the left side

Salazar
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Guys,
I am having issues with my left side fat sac. It fills when I need it too, however, the pump will not drain the bag... its a 2005 Supra 24 ssv with the factory Ballast system on it. Has anyone had issues like this before, and what it the best way to correct this issue.

MXZDrew
09-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Couple of issues I can suggest checking, went through some of this before myself.

First, can you check that the pump is working? If it is on drain can you hear it running? They are mounted back near the transom in the engine bay. If you can't hear it, switch should light to confirm power. If no power, then check the fuses and breakers.

If you know it's running and just not draining then it's likely losing prime, I have blown through my drain hose and kick started the process again but it's a pain.

From what I have learned the drain pumps are mounted in the engine simply to keep the install clean. The issue is with the drain hose length as the drain pumps are not self priming, they are an aerator style pump. The fix relocating the pumps to inside the locker and shortening the drain hose so the pump essentially is connected directly to the bag. You will have the bags quick release male fitting, 1 1/2" of drain hose then the pumps fitting and then connect to the pump. The pump will lay at the back of the locker and should work MUCH better now. You will not need to buy anything except a couple of hose clamps if you dont have any. Everything else you are reusing.

jeffreyk573
10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Salazar,
It's funny that you posted this just a few days ago, I logged on this evening to ask the exact same question. I just took my new to me 24ssv out on her maiden voyage, and that was the only real problem that I had. I finally gave up on trying to drain the bag, and towed home with it about 2/3 full. I could hear the pump running, but no drain.

jzelt
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
If the pump is running and not draining, I grab the bag by the far end and put weight on it. That seems to start the syphon.

We had the pump not work at all and I switched it with the front bag drain for the time being and put the new pump there since easier access.

Salazar
10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Same thing happen to me. Filled the bag up, and was unable to drain it, and just towed it home with a full bag. I tried to switch the hoses out to the front bag, and it still didnt drian. I have my work cut out for me now this winter. lol

jeffreyk573
10-05-2011, 07:09 AM
The next day I went out to siphon the bag empty, and just for fun I flipped the switch to drain on the left rear bag, and it emptied the bag on my driveway. I don't get it.

jzelt
10-07-2011, 02:16 PM
The water in the bag probably primed the pump. Turning it off and back on several times is another way to do it. I just found it easier to put weight on the bag and "force" the air out of the line.

jeffreyk573
10-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Is there an upgrade to the stock pump that would provide better reliability? This has to be a fairly common occurence.

Salazar
10-08-2011, 06:55 PM
After checking it was the pump that went bad. I just ordered a pump from wakemakers, and it should be here sometime this week.

iwakeboard
05-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Checking in, '05 24SSV with the left emptying pump that appears to have gone bad. Anyone know what the pump is so I can buy it online? Is there a higher GPH pump that's a direct replacement? Looks like it's an easy replacement, couple screws, couple hose clamps, and a harness.

jzelt
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
I have switched out the front Rule 700 GPH to one of the rear bags that wasn't working. The issue then is, I needed a short hose to go over the pumps fitting and over the OD of the existing hose. Pumps quicker than the 500 GPH.

Kevinbrad
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I just replaced mine, it took one hour, I got a tsunami pump from wal mart for 32 bucks, it is a livewell pump because it has to have threads on it, or adapter with barbs , it came with one, and I used my factory one for the intake, it was easy