PDA

View Full Version : 86 Sunsport 454

jbh3u3r
09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I found a local 86 Sunsport for sale (asking price is TBD) and i'm going to go check it our after work today. I've been focusing on finding a Saltare but I figured it would be worth looking at if I can get a good deal. The listing says it has a "fresh 454" big block with 30 hrs. I'm going to have to get some more info on the engine rebuild but the guy says the floor and stringers are solid. I have read that these older Sunsports make great wakeboard boats for the money. My plan is to add a tower and ballast. I will try to get some pictures posted tonight. Does anyone have experience with an older Sunsport for wakeboarding?

cadunkle
09-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Never rode behind one but when I was shopping last year for my Saltare I was considering Sunsports as well, among other boats. They seem very similar hull to a Saltare just shorter, mostly in the bow. The Saltare has a really huge bow area. I would have had no problem going with a Sunsport, just my Saltare came along and seemed like a good deal with a newer engine and solid floor and stringers. That and I'm the type of guy who does everything bigger, so I like having a big block in a big boat. Heck, I have several vehicles and they all have a big block.

If my Saltare sells, Sunsports would be at the top of my list for a replacement since there are so many and you occasionally find a good deal. Only reason I'm considering selling the Saltare is to free up some money for other endeavors... So don't let that turn you off from getting a Saltare. I love the large boat and the wake is nice. Only thing that I'd like that I don't see as realistic is hidden ballast. I don't think there's much room below the floor and with newer wood in the boat I don't wnat to rip it up, and the odd rear seat design prevents putting much under the seats without going to a traditional rear bench. Plenty of room under the bow for weight up front though.

jbh3u3r
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
You read my mind about the hidden ballast in the back of a Saltare. It doesn't look like it would be possible under the backseat but what about in the storage compartment behind the seat? That is storage all the way in the back isn't it? Hidden ballast is a must for me because we always ride with a lot of people and gear. Having space taken up by ballast isn't really an option.