PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and would like some help...

jtmst
10-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I am new to the site and new to Supra. I bought a 87 Saltare late this summer and the motor was not winterized last year so it was shot/cracked. I had a motor built and I think they misunderstood I wanted a mild manner family motor something close to stock. LOL Ya this is the same engine builder that we used in the past when we raced Sprint cars, thus the joke or what he took as a mild manner being a joke. LOL Ok so this saltare is a power plant that is now more than a 496 and almost 500 HP. I told them just build me something I could have fun with the kids and grandkids and pull them up and have fun....I think he took this to be pull there arms out, again just joking. I am needing help in finding a starter that will turn this beast over properly. It has so much torque the factory starter struggles and burnt one out completely while melted a selinoid on another.
I would also like to get a fiberglass rear swim platform for the boat, as the previous owner cut the wood deck down several inches "to fit into the garage".
Next if there are any out there I would like to find a Supra factory cover for this boat. If that is not possible then I would like to hear from those of you that have a saltare and what cover you think works the best for these boats.
Well, thanks for taking the time to read it over and if you have anything to add please let me hear from you.

wotan2525
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I am new to the site and new to Supra. I bought a 87 Saltare late this summer and the motor was not winterized last year so it was shot/cracked. I had a motor built and I think they misunderstood I wanted a mild manner family motor something close to stock. LOL Ya this is the same engine builder that we used in the past when we raced Sprint cars, thus the joke or what he took as a mild manner being a joke. LOL Ok so this saltare is a power plant that is now more than a 496 and almost 500 HP. I told them just build me something I could have fun with the kids and grandkids and pull them up and have fun....I think he took this to be pull there arms out, again just joking. I am needing help in finding a starter that will turn this beast over properly. It has so much torque the factory starter struggles and burnt one out completely while melted a selinoid on another.
I would also like to get a fiberglass rear swim platform for the boat, as the previous owner cut the wood deck down several inches "to fit into the garage".
Next if there are any out there I would like to find a Supra factory cover for this boat. If that is not possible then I would like to hear from those of you that have a saltare and what cover you think works the best for these boats.
Well, thanks for taking the time to read it over and if you have anything to add please let me hear from you.

Want to trade? I'll swap you my mild 454 for your race engine. ;)

I don't think you have many options for starters. DB Electrical is my choice for inexpensive starters but they really only have 1 option for these engines and it's basically a "stock starter" -- Maybe your engine guy can offer some suggestions? Or maybe some of the offshore guys might know? I'd possibly check with a local marina if there's one that specializes in the go-fast boats.

There isn't really many options for covers. You can buy a generic fit cover (even though a lot of them are sold as "custom-fit" through the iboats.com style sites), you can have one truly custom made, or you can buy one from skiboatcovers.com. I have a skiboatcovers.com cover and it's the only one that is an off-the-shelf item that is truly tailor made for the Saltare. The generic fit covers may work but they aren't reinforced correctly in the cleat areas, windshield and rear railing areas. My skiboatcovers.com one is perfect.

sybrmike
10-04-2011, 10:27 AM
We used these folks on a 10.5:1 compression 468 Chevy jet boat & worked fine - http://www.mascostartersandalternators.com/Sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=5

I'm waiting on a winter sale to try out one of the 23' semi custom covers from Bass Pro to see how it fits once I get the tower installed. I tried one from Academy, but fit poorly on the bare hull & took it back. Mine stays in the garage, so may just use a big blue tarp to keep dust & critters out.

jtmst
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Wotan2525....Thanks for the heads up on the site for the cover will definately be looking into that today...

Sybrmike...thank you as well for the lead on the starter.
I have been asked if the flywheel is an inner or outter flywheel in the transmission?? And the starter that is on these is a reverse rotation starter being it mounts from the backside?? Is this correct?

sybrmike
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
On my PCM 454, the teeth are on the outside edge of the flywheel. The flywheel turns counter clockwise and the starter gear clockwise when viewed from the rear - so yes, it's bass ackwards from an automotive starter.