PDA

View Full Version : Towing with covers on

jeffreyk573
10-05-2011, 07:21 AM
I have question about towing with the snap in covers on. The PO towed with them snapped down nice and tight, and so did I when I towed it home. All 16 1/2 hours of the drive. I didn't have any problems with the cover, but the owners manual says not to do that. The PO informed me that the rear compartment covers, both left and right , would start lifting up at about 45mph on the highway without the snap ins installed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FoiltechLaunch21V
10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
I have hauled my boat somewhere every weekend since I purchased it. From 1 hour to 24 hour trips. Always with the snap covers on it. It has not caused any problems. I use two XLarge Yoga balls under the rear cover. One small Yoga ball under the bow cover.

tg0824SSVGG
10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I also tow with the snap cover on. Many times for 10-11 hours at a time. I know it will cause the cover to wear more than if I didn't, but I don't want stuff flying
out.

I also use the workout balls that Keith mentioned - instead of the poles. (I use one pole, but it rests on the carpet)
Todd

FoiltechLaunch21V
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Todd I spray my covers maybe once a month with CampDry Waterproofer and mine still looks like new.

Cover on keeps the "quick pickers" from stealing things at the fuel stops/restaurants/bars/hotels also!!!LOL

KG's Supra24
10-05-2011, 09:56 AM
If you are going to do it make sure it is tight and use something like the balls they are talking about. I used mine at first but when i started to use it continually I had buttons start breaking on me. Mine was not always real tight and I blame myself for it as I've heard of many people who tow with the snap covers.

Sluggo
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM
I too use the snap covers and never had a problem until this year. I always make sure they are tight and watch the mirror to see if there is any flapping. This year I think I might have put the cockpit cover on too tight as I had three snaps pull out of the material. I did notice it took a bit more force to get the cover on, but I thought, tighter the better. Apparently not. Anyway it is the original on an 05, so 7 years for a cover is not too bad.

jeffreyk573
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Truly appreiate the input. I guess that I will keep towing with the overs on. I have a couple of the snaps on the bow over that have pulled out, but I think I can fix them. The workout balls are a great idea.

tg0824SSVGG
10-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah, Keith was the original inspiration for those - I hated the way the OEM cover needed poles where poles make no sense.

Thanks KO!

pap
02-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Can you guys fill me in on the yoga ball thing - I've towed with my snap cover on with the poles in place and it seems they have to go up pretty high to get tension and the front pole is pretty close to the driver seat - I'm not getting how a yoga ball will work. Can you post a pic or explain a bit more how this works? We're going to be towing about an 8 hour trip in June and I'm worried about that much (typically we go just an hour and I've been towing without the cover in place as it seems like the cover has been getting stretched).

I would like to tow down there with a cover on so we can store stuff on the boat as we go - can only fit so much in the truck.

cadunkle
02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't tow with my snap cover on the boat unless it starts raining, then I'll pull over and put it on. I towed my last boat with the snap cover on a few times and it would pull it tight over some of the sharper edges of the windshield, wearing the cover and stretching between the poles. Haven't had any seat bases or anything move at all without it on so I'm not worried. I did pay a lot for the cover though, and want it to last.

KO21v
02-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I have always used yoga balls; a smaller one in the bow. With two large ones in the back. One over the V-drive. One up front at the rear facing seat (21v) I put a helmet over my low pylon too. I have mine covered everywhere I go, it does NOT hurt a good quality cover.

pap
02-19-2012, 08:40 PM
So both in the middle of the boat, one just at the aft end of the passthrough (on the seat) and one sitting in the middle rear seat. This sounds like a GREAT idea to disperse the load more evenly than the poles. I really hate to ask this question..., but "can you tell me how big your balls are?"

KO21v
02-19-2012, 11:19 PM
I really hate to ask this question..., but "can you tell me how big your balls are?"

I have two really BIG balls. The third one is a bit smaller!!! Thanks for asking!! LOL

....Seriously though I'll have to measure them. But I think the two bigger balls are 50inch diameter. The smaller one in the bow is 30inch diameter.