PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With some electrical, blower and horn - Sunsport

suprasam
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I bought my sunsport a couple of months ago. The prior owner did a ton of rehab for this boat....now I am finishing up mostly some cosmetics, and minor electrical. It looks like for some reason he took the blower and horn switches out. I havent' looked yet to see if the blowers are there or not, I am just going to assume they are gone. What is the best way to rewire the blowers in? I know after looking at some diagrams it looks as if the blowers sit underneath or behind the rear seat. So if I reinstall the blower....where in the hell do I tie back into the fuse box....and then put the switch(yes I know dash panel). I am guessing I just need to install and wire in a horn, I can do electrical, but it scare the hell outta me without some help. Not sure what he was thinking by taking these two things out......Thanks in advance!

Okie Boarder
10-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Blowers in the back should work well. You can probably wire them right up to the dash...maybe some of the guys that have really dug into the wiring can chime in. Is everything in the dash still on the original wiring with breaker style switches or did you rewire to a true fuse panel?

Have you been running this boat without blowers and a horn?

sybrmike
10-05-2011, 11:40 AM
I think the 85 had the blowers mounted in a common duct box located on the transom? If so (and it's still there), mounting and routing should be pretty straight forward or others with that vintage can better advise. Otherwise, here's how I mounted them on my 89 Salt (I think Okie's 89 Sunsport was the same).

8046 8047

The blower on the left attaches to the 3" thin wall pvc pipe shown in the second pic to draw air from the engine area. The inlet hose for the one on the right draws from just under the gas tank. Regardless of how/where you mount the blowers, they typically have one drawing air from near the engine and one from near the gas tank. You want the inlets located near the bottom to draw the heavier fuel vapors, but not so low as to suck bilge water.

My original horn is mounted on a glassed-in pad up under the center of the dash or you can get creative (la cuca racha, la cuca racha):). You can get the original style push switch/breakers from skidim for the blowers and horn. I rewired the entire boat so ignore the distribution blocks on the transom (just the way I chose to do it) - it's not that bad once you get into it.

suprasam
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes I have been running it without the horn and blowers.....I do lift the dog house for a couple of minutes prior to every start. Yes I know I need ventilation thats why I am installing them now......the horn you dont have to have, if you have an air whistle or an on board air horn to be legal anyway (I do). But I want it to have an on board horn, so thats why I am installing it now. I have no idea how he did the wiring or fuses....no the fuse blocks are not in the dash, there are just on/off switches for the lights, radio power, and then the bilge incase the automatic sensor isn't working. Thanks for the help.

Jetlink
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
What year is your boat? I have an '86 Comp and I don't think there is an original wire or wire harness in it after I redid it all last year. You mention switches for the lights, are they switches or switch breakers? I have switch breakers as they save space on the instrument panel and serve two functions, one is electrical protection and the other is being a switch also. As for the blowers, I wired mine without any breaks between the blower and the switch breaker. I also tied it up so it does not rest on the bottom of the bilge. The horn I wired into a switch breaker as well with a push button to activate the horn. Basically, power the system by turning on the switch breaker and then sound the horn by pushing the button. Clear as mud? Fire back any questions you might have. The first two pics are the new panels I had made with new switch breakers in, the second picture you can see what I am talking about with the horn. The switch breaker has to be in to energize the system and then pressing the button just above it activates the horn. The last picture is the final product after I replaced every gauge except the air guides and the tach. 804880498050

suprasam
10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for that help....here is what my dash looks like, my sunsport is an 84....if you notice the wood panel on right, the left flip switch is the radio, the middle are both anchor/bow light, the far right is bilge pump. I guess i will need to look under the panel and under the steering to see how he did all this.8051